Hi, I'm New Here!

Help injured garter snake

We need help with an injured garter snake. It is very young, we believe and about 15 inches long. We found it hardly moving mid-day yesterday (about 20 hours ago), with noticable injuries.

We believe that we had unknowingly struck the young snake with one of our tools. The crease in its head is very narrow (like from the blade of a hoe). It goes diagonally from front to back, and betwen its eyes. There appears to be an unnatural looking “bend” in its body, about 4 in. from its head.

Because the snake showed movement, and we could see its tongue flicking, we brought it inside from about 40 degree weather. It is in a box with onion grass. We are using an eye dropper to put water drops into its open mouth (which appears to be out of kilter).

This morning, there was a drop of blood on the crease. It’s mouth is continually open, and we can see the red interior.

We want to do the right thing. We are very concerned that the snake is suffering, and the injuries cannot heal. Can anyone please advise us if you have any experience with a snake with this kind of injury?

We are in the Cincinnati area. Can you recommend someone who would know how to help, or what to do? We could also take photos and e-mail them. Thank you.

Re: Help injured garter snake

Hi Clare,
    To be honest it doesn't sound good. I appreciate your concern, and that you want to help the snake.... could you please e-mail me your photos so that I can better understand the injuries?
    jasumo@btinternet.com
    James.

Thanks for the photos, Clare. I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news, but I think that euthanasia is the only realistic option with such an extensive head injury.
    It's very good of you to take the time and effort to seek out help for the snake. Much respect to you for that.
    James.

I haven't seen the photos, but I find it very easy to believe that they would be fatal. Euthanasia is unfortunately the only thing I can recommend as well.

Much respect from me, as well. Not everybody would care enough to try to help it.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks to James for reviewing the photos and giving us the bad news. And for the supporting comment from Stefan. We are grateful that we quickly found out the right thing to do for the garter snake, under the circumstances.

As for us, and thanks to the website, we have a new appreciation for this little creature. There are surely more out there. Our forested land is a private nature preserve, permanently protected from any future development. We actually do very little gardening, but next time we thrash about, we'll give ample warning to what's hiding in the undergrowth.

It is amazing to realize that Thamnophis is an international organization. And that help came from abroad. Thanks to all of you.

Clare and Roland Johnson
    Cincinnati, Ohio

I'm glad we were able to help out a little. Perhaps if you happen to find any more Garters on your land you might want to photograph them and share them with us on the forum?
    James.

I'm sorry you joined us under such sad circumstances, but hopefully you can stick around and join in from time to time!
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Oh, that is a sad story. Too bad you're little snake couldn't be helped. But as Lori and James said, please stick around, and feel free to share pictures of garters you find around your place. We love pictures here!!
    Anji

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Hi, from Oregon, Clare

hi Clare - nice to meet you
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain