Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Lump on injured garter

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm new to owning a snake. I found a baby garter snake, about 8 inches long, on my sidewalk It looked like it had something under its skin; like maybe it had just eaten. The next day I came outside and the poor guy was sitting in the same place, only now he had a huge lump on his back with a wound near the bottom of the lump. It was about 40 degrees. He was so cold and figured he would die if I left him outside, so I brought him in and now I'm the proud owner of a garter snake. I cleaned his wound and put antibiotic cream on it. I took him to my exotic vet who sees a lot of snakes. He said the lump was not from broken ribs or from a broken spine. He can move his body, but he just lays in one place and I find him in the same postition I left him in. The vet thought he just needed to be warmed up. So I got a reptile heating pad, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. He still doesn't move. I have been giving him drops of water from an eyedropper every couple of hours since he won't go to his water dish, or anywhere else for that matter. He drinks several drops of water, but so far he's refused food. Has anyone heard of this happening? Could the lump be from something he ate? It's now been close to a week that I've had him. The lump is getting a little smaller, but again, he's not moving around at all. I know this is probably a dumb question, but is it possible that his body was already slowing down in preperation for hiberntion? Maybe he's still trying to hibernate? I've grown rather attached to the little guy and I want him to have a normal life. Any advice or suggestions?

Re: Lump on injured garter

Welcome,
    If you can post a photo that would be great. Thanks for taking the time to help the little scrub. A wild little garter to the Vet. I love it. Nice move. It sounds like you're doing the right thing with the heat and making sure it gets water. He/she will need some settling in time. Be patient. You are also right about the snake making plans for brumation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

welcome to the forum
    the little guy may be in shock - who knows what it's been through to end up with the injury
    just give it some time and see . . .
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

wow.... if he as still in the same spot the following day, it doesn't sound too good! Hopefully with continued support he will pull through, but it does not sound hopeful. Make sure to give him a place to hide and disturb him as little as possible! good luck
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I know you're right; it doesn't look good. The weird thing is he can move his whole body from his head to his tail, but it's like he can't coordinate the movements to propel himself forward. Like he's slithering in place when he does try to move.

I'm attaching a few pictures so you can see the lump and the wound. Seeing the wound on the maco setting of my camera gives me a whole new perspective on how badly he's hurt. I'll take your advice and hope for the best. He has such a sweet little disposition. I believe, from my very limited knowledge, that his is a black-necked garter snake. Thanks again for all the advice. What a great forum!
    DSCN1951.jpg

DSCN1960.jpg

DSCN1968.jpg

Looks like some kind of a crushing injury.
    If you can get food and water in it should do well.
    Best of luck. Keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Hi, from Oregon, cwkeys
    Thanks for taking the time to help the little scrub

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Poor little punkin... thanks for helping it! There's a chance that the swelling can go down and he can regain control... and for that reason I'd keep doing what you're doing for a while, but the chances are probably slim
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks so much everyone! Last night my husband made a trail out of twigs and bark and he actually perked up and started smelling everything. Then he started pulling himself along by hooking his head and neck over a stick and then dragging the rest of his body. He made it all the way across his enclosure and got his head up on his water dish (He didn't drink though, I'm still giving water by an eyedropper). It was so encouraging to see the sweet little guy move around. Today he hasn't moved at all. He's all tucked in his hiding log, but at least if he gets overheated he might be able to move somewhere cooler under his own steam. Last night I thought he might be able to get better, today I'm less sure. Thanks again for all your concern and wonderful advice. There's nothing better than the knowledge that comes from experienced owners. Thanks for being so willing to share it with me. It makes me feel better to know that I'm doing all I can. We'll keep a good thought and hope for the best!

looking at the close-up, I am wondering whether there is some infectious matter in there that needs to be cleaned out
    in snakes, what would be pus in humans, is more like a cheesy lumpy affair, and doesn't come out easily
    not sure what to tell you
    I have one vet who would never futz with anything like that beyond giving antibiotics, and another who would be more inclined to cut it open to see what's in there
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain