Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    "First shed, A Success"

My injured snake..

Here is the front of his head, you can notice some missing scales.

Here is the right side of his head where the majority of the damage is. He has no eye there at all, and you can see redness.

This is the left side. The eye looks very black indoors, looked red when I caught it and it is hard to tell if its there or covered up, and this pic is no exception, hard to say..

This picture is to see if you guys could tell me what gender "he" might be

We were kind of having some focusing issues as we were some what rushing.

"First shed, A Success"

Re: My injured snake..

Btw for anyone that doesn't know...

I found him on the bike path new years day. We had a bit of a heat way new years eve so I'm thinking he came out of brumation during this time. It was 45 degrees out when I found him and he seemed very lethargic so I decided to take him in.. He was active at first now he just typically coils up and naps or something. Still hasn't eaten.

"First shed, A Success"

Actually he is quite active now after his photoshoot. Maybe he just needed a three day slumber haha.

You've got a female there.
    Looks like some severe head trauma. You said you found her on a bike path. In that case the injury could have been from a bike tire.
    Keep her warm and sheltered. In this situation I think a Vet. visit would be nice but I'm not sure what a Vet. could do for her.
    I think time will tell whether she makes it or not.
    Has she eaten anything at all?
    My prayers go out to you. Thanks for taking the time to intervene on her behalf. I wish her well.
    Keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Poor thing. That really is quite something for her to have to recover from. I hope she picks up for you but you never know. The injury may be evident in the mouth too and be a possible problem for feeding.
    Like Steve said ... time will tell with this one.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"First shed, A Success"

She has not eaten. But I was told it takes a few weeks to eat after they come out of brumation. I would predict she came out of brumation new years eve or the day before. The bike path was not very crowded that day, but it is very possible that she was ran over, I almost ran her over : x

Please keep us posted.
    We are all pulling for your snake.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed, A Success"

Today someone wanted to meet her so I was holding her and she was being pretty calm but she was making a noise I have not heard from her before. I'm guessing it was a hiss? But that is not the right onomatopoeia it was more like a "pfff" I heard it twice when I was holding her.

When I put her in the take I saw her go to the water for the first time without me encouraging it. She put her whole body in there, not at the same time, but more like slithering through it haha. She even slipped in at one point and kind of panicked, you could see air bubbles coming out. The water is only 3 inches deep maybe.

While she was wading I heard her make the noise again and open her mouth and being real active. I offered her a night crawler, from my hand just kind of dangled it in front of her and she wasn't interested.

Is this noise unusual or mean anything?

Her injury appears to be significant. Hopefully she will pull thru for you. Keep temps up and offer food frequently. Please keep us informed.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Have you tried chopping up the worms into small pieces for her? Try chopping them up into small pieces and putting them on a dish so that she doesn't feel anxious about taking them from you. I know that Richard always encourages hand feeding...but maybe in this case, because she is injured, you should just see if you can get her to eat at all...then worry about getting her to eat from you. Selena wouldn't eat whole worms or pinkies...she eats them in pieces..plus, if your snake has a mouth injury, she might need smaller bites. I really hope she makes it...and I think it's wonderful that you are trying to help her. The noise she made was probably a hiss. Richard...correct me if I'm wrong about the feeding.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe