Difference in vision(albinism)

Tonight, while feeding a group of babies, I notice my Iowa albinos out. I hadn't reached their enclosure yet but offered a piece of worm to one of them. The little male at first appeared to not see it. He then smelled it and took the piece. I had placed the worm chunk right in front of him. Any of my other normal radixes would have taken it by sight. The enclosure these little albinos live in is lit by overhead fluorescents. The enclosure isn't directly under the light. I know that hypersensitivity to light can be one of the eye conditions amongst a mired of them associated with albinism. Have any of you noticed any eye problems in your albinos?
    This is the first time I've ever noticed any vision differences in my albinos.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Difference in vision(albinism)

I would think the iowa albinos would be more sensitive to light then say the nebraska albinos.My albino redsides have eyesite problems.I moved them into a rack with the rest of my albinos.I have'nt had any eye problems with the schuett albino easterns.I suspect they are the same type of albino as the nebraska radix.It seems the lighter albinos are a lot more sensitive.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

animals lacking melanin do have vision problems because in order for the eye to function properly, the inside of the eye must be completely dark aside from the pupil, which lets light into the eye. The pupils contract and dilate because they can only allow a certain amount of light in for proper vision. In animals that are able to retain dark pigment, often even t positive albinos the eye retains it's darkness and the animal can see fairly normally. If you notice a nebraska albino's eyes are rather dark, almost black, whereas an iowa's are completely clear and see-through. Animals that have no dark pigment have poor eyesight because light is able to penetrate the eye from 360 degrees and at all angles, such as through the top of the head, through the iris itself, etc. No amount of pupil contraction will stop too much light from entering the eye, and therefore, albino animals have poor vision because they are unable to regulate how much light enters the insides of their eyes. Normally the iris and the non-translucent flesh on a normal snake stops unwanted light, but the iris on a t negative has lost all dark pigment and is translucent. If you have ever owned any albino cichlids you may notice they have the same problems, they can't see the food as well as the other fish in the tank and sometimes miss, and the problem worsens if your lighting is too bright. My albino redsideds can't seem to see for crap, I put food right on their nose so they know where it's at!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Adult snake

I've suspected as much with my albino marcy's does anyone do anything as far as angle lighting to help them deal with the bombardment of light ray's?

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indigoman View Post
    I've suspected as much with my albino marcy's does anyone do anything as far as angle lighting to help them deal with the bombardment of light ray's?

I use indirect lighting that's coming from other tanks. No actual lights shining onto my albinos. My albino red sideds hid all the time until I took away their lights.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Adult snake

Thanks Shannon, I'll give it a try!