speaking of bites....

this had me looking up the hognosed snake from my area questioning my memory.
    Years ago I was out searching for snakes with my little brother and I lifted up a large peice of ply wood in the very rear of my back yard, and found a brownish colored snake coiled up and surprised to see its hiding place turned over! lol
    Its face was very stout and roundish and like turned up from what I recall so I had assumed it was a hognosed snake, though I really didnt get the BEST look at it because upon reaching to pick it up it bit me and slithered away and I was not able to catch it to get a better look at it. The bite was not very painful and I barely even bled. There wasnt really even any swelling afterwards. It was a little sore though for a couple days after. I remember specifically that i felt it much more the next day than I did when it happened. This snake was a decent size. Definitely bigger than all the garters Ive ever found. At least girth-wise.
    Now I am no herpetologist by ANY MEANS lol so this was just a GUESS and from someone who knows VERY little about this kind of stuff at that, but now that I've read up on this snake, it says that they do not bite in self defense. Is this true? and if so does anyone have any idea of what kind of snake this was that I came in contact with? lol....
    I live In eastern Massachusetts if this helps at all....
    <3 Snakems

Re: speaking of bites....

to describe the bite, this snake did not LATCH on to me. Or at least not for more than about a second before it was gone. It was lifting its head and neck off the ground and tried striking at me and I felt a quick pinch and pulled my hand back a little too late. Maybe the reason it wasnt a bad bite was because it didnt spend time grabbing onto me. It might have been capable of giving me a much worse bite, but I just didnt get that lol The whole experience lasted for only seconds ... I was quite upset that I wasnt able to get the snake because I was curious about it because I'd never seen a snake like this in PERSON
    <3 Snakems

just possibilities of what kind of a snake it was.... or if anyone else has EVER had a case where a hognosed snake has bitten them? ... i mean is this possible?
    <3 Snakems

Of course it is possible. These animals are inclined to break a rule as soon as we make it!
    It's difficult to say what the snake might have been...... have you tried looking through a local photographic snake guide to see if you recognise it?
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    Of course it is possible. These animals are inclined to break a rule as soon as we make it!
    It's difficult to say what the snake might have been...... have you tried looking through a local photographic snake guide to see if you recognise it?
    I WILL DO THAT!! lol I wish the memory was fresher however lol
    <3 Snakems

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Anything with a mouth can bite. That is my response when people ask if something bites. Hognoses in particular, rarely actually offer to bite as part of their defense, but yes, some will, people do get bit, it is definitely possible that you scared the snake enough that he decided to give you a bite!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!