Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bites!

Red face bites!

... I feel like such a pest asking all these questions that probably seem stupid to everyone lol... butttt....

has anyone ever had any experiences with eastern garters biting them?
    I ONCE and ONLY Once caught one when I was a teenager, that if i put my finger to it's nose it would open up its mouth like it was barely nipping at me but nothing aggressive really. And even then this wasnt every time. Now I would THINK that wild caught garters would probably be MORE likely to bite or try to bite anyway when handled, but maybe Im wrong. Is this very UNCOMMON for garters to attempt biting or is it just that its coincidence that over time and all the garters Ive caught over the years just never tried to bite me? I guess Im just talking about eastern garters I think because as far as I KNOW (and I guess I wouldnt be the best person to try and take a stab at what kind of garter it was ANYWAY lol) that's all Ive ever caught as far as GARTER snakes go.

I dunno if anyone can really answer this question because it may not be specific enough =/ haha... but i dont know any other way to ask it.
    <3 Snakems

Re: bites!

my father says he has had encounters with garters that have bit him before but with me its just never happened lol
    I guess this would be best answered by someone who maybe has or has had eastern garters.
    I mean I know theyre not ferocious snakes but im curious.
    <3 Snakems

It all depends on the individual Garter... some are biters, but I find that most aren't..... It's always been my experience that even the biters soon settle down and become non-biters. Of course, there are exceptions. And of course most of the Garters I deal with these days are captive bred.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    It all depends on the individual Garter... some are biters, but I find that most aren't..... It's always been my experience that even the biters soon settle down and become non-biters. Of course, there are exceptions. And of course most of the Garters I deal with these days are captive bred.
    thats interesting because Ive only dealt with wild ones and by comparison it would seem its possible wild garters are less likely to bite. haha though I wouldnt really draw that conclusion at all.
    .... maybe its the eastern garters in my area that are just very docile.
    The one I have now is adorable. she's never even attempted what I even THOUGHT was a bite (except for the weird thing she did through the glass today). LOL though Im sure Id think the biting was adorable too because Im just crazy like that.
    <3 Snakems

At present I have around 40 Garters, only one is an occassional biter (young female Florida Blue sirtalis).
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

lol most are quite doscile i've found..... esp if you pick them up the right way...... i didn't get bit once this year and i caught 51!!!!!

Edit: (nope i lied lol i had 51 that i didn't have last year..... so wow i only actually caught 14 this year!!!! wow it feels like ALOT more than that..... )
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Third shed, A Success"

90% of the wild cought up here in Maine bite the crap out of me at first. but will calm down to no bitting or musking after a minute or so.

I believe if you are calm snake is calm, may be a bit out there but I really think its true. It's all about the energy the dog whisperer approach!

The only biting Garters I've every had were wild caught. All of my babies that were captive breed have never attempted to bite other than striking at food. Never out of fear, defense or being startled. My wild caught that do bite, stop after only a few handlings.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

... I feel like such a pest asking all these questions that probably seem stupid to everyone lol... butttt....
    lol and don't feel like a pest lol you get everyone talking!!!! lol we've been quiet for the past few months..... i think bc it's winter lol when baby season comes we'll all start to chat lol
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"Third shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Snake lover 3-25 View Post
    lol and don't feel like a pest lol you get everyone talking!!!! lol we've been quiet for the past few months..... i think bc it's winter lol when baby season comes we'll all start to chat lol
    Yea agreed, im ready for babies and summer!