Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile random general questions for all of you lol

hello.... I am up super early and bored. While cleaning snakems' tank a few minutes ago I got to thinking of a few things I'd like to ask you guys seeing as you all have experience with your snakes

... one... I am able to handle my snake frequently because I only have one, but how often would you say you handle your snakes? Specifically I suppose regarding garters. Mine particularly loves slithering inside of my sleeves and doing what I call "sleeving". Haha
    I pretty much make names up for all of my animals "habits" because Im so fond of observing them and enjoy all their little "quirks".
    She loves going inside anything warm and often finds her way into my pantlegs sometimes as well. Im assuming that it is quite common but Im curious as to whether everyone else's garters do this often too

... Two... I was watching my snake after I put her back into her tank after I changed her water and it just came to me, as if often does, how gentle and defenseless (maybe not so much to their food but in general) garters are. Or at least the type of garter that I have is so docile. This could be due to a range of things seeing as I dont know too much about her because she was caught in the wild.
    I found her raking on a very cold fall day with about a dozen or so others. She was the only one that I was able to apprehend because I couldnt move fast enough to grab any others and unfortunately no one with me was very fond of snakes, so I had no help lol
    They all went every which way, and now I am assuming they are all brumating for the year wherever it is that they are. I was quite surprised that they would be out and about in that cold because we had already had our first frost here, so I almost felt like I was saving her by taking her in, but who knows, Im sure the other's found their way somewhere to do what they do.
    ANYWAY, haha.... it just makes me so annoyed with people that detest snakes. It's always because they are SO misinformed & ignorant about them. My mother is that way and over the time I've had snakems, ive been slowly but surely getting her used to her. She even held her hand out recently & held her!
    The whole idea of them being "slimy" and "dirty" bothers the crap out of me! I know not everyone has been brought up to tolerate & respect all other living things but the stubborness and squeemishness exhibited by most individuals afraid or snakes or even those that just arent familiar with them, really just gets my blood boiling! lol
    I suppose I should try and understand them better but I cant help but think... IF THEY ONLY GAVE THEM A CHANCE! and I tend to be that way in pertinence to everything. Even trying new foods lol
    You dont know until you give it a try! So dont make groundless uneducated comments and act like you hate something you know nothing about!

...phew! lol that was a rant....

and finally... I'd like to inquire about the shedding process.
    I feel like my snake should have shed by now because Ive had her since halloween, but maybe I am just worrying over nothing.

thanks for reading!

Re: random general questions for all of you lol

Quote Originally Posted by snakems View Post
    ... one... I am able to handle my snake frequently because I only have one, but how often would you say you handle your snakes?
    The ones that don't make an effort to avoid being handled, I handle about once a week just to check their health. The ones that go ballistic I only handle when it's absolutely necessary, in other words when I have to move them or clean the enclosure. I don't really consider them pets.

I feel like my snake should have shed by now because Ive had her since halloween, but maybe I am just worrying over nothing.

thanks for reading!
    How often they shed depends primarily on their growth rate, but also on how much wear and tear the skin's subjected to. If they shed often, I'd consider it a sign of trouble.

thank you! this is comforting to know

also another question I forgot to post up here is....
    Does anyone's snake drink when brought to their water?

normally I dont bring my snake TO her water knowing that she can achieve this on her own lol but since she was bitten Ive been worried about the temperature in her tank (now that its warmer to boost her I.S.) making her need more water and I dont ever happen to catch her drinking anymore.
    of course this is not to say that she isnt drinking, its just that I dont catch it. When She's out and about in her tank I lift her with 2 fingers to her dish and its like she cant resist drinking. I, by no means, force her under the water or try and make her drink if she moves away from it but it seems she is always like "oo water!" and drinks it if presented to her.
    lol just wondering if this is something that they just do or if this is because she is extra thirsty.

when I've been away for a few days, and I'm changing the water after it has been sitting a day or so longer than it should, some of my snakes will come right away to drink, but most of them don't
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

My Radixs are very active around the water dish.
    When I change the water many of them come out for a fresh drink. A few weeks ago there were a few posts about snakes being dehydrated. I will from time to time place a snake right in the water dish after being held. On most occasions they will take a drink while they are there. A good supply of fresh water is imperative.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    when I've been away for a few days, and I'm changing the water after it has been sitting a day or so longer than it should, some of my snakes will come right away to drink, but most of them don't
    thanks for sharing! I love hearing about other's snakies

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    My Radixs are very active around the water dish.
    When I change the water many of them come out for a fresh drink. A few weeks ago there were a few posts about snakes being dehydrated. I will from time to time place a snake right in the water dish after being held. On most occasions they will take a drink while they are there. A good supply of fresh water is imperative.
    innnteresting.
    my snakems seems to do it 9 out of ten times I place her at the water. Its fascinating. I love it

thanks for reading! [/QUOTE]

I was just wondering what you feed her and how often?
    I'm so glad to hear she is getting better!

Zoe

I don't handle mine that much, only cause they are hiding, or just being curled up in the vine. Don't like to disturb them. Kyle my red sided is very active, he likes to get all the way at the top & lay. Probably trying to find a way to get out!LOL

Brownie & Mikey are Dekayi's, they love to snuggle with Kyle alot. I do check here & there to make sure all 3 are moving, looking good. I give fresh water everyday. I feed them every other day, or 2-3 days apart.

I have only caught mine a few times drinking water!
    Stephanie