Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bite Report

Old and wise snake

The Bite Report

Ok I don't know if we have a thread where you post up your pics of when you got bit by your scaly friend but I'm starting one.. Only because I got bit this morning lol

Now for those who haven't gotten bit before as I get bit by these snakes I'll tell you how it feel what to look for and how to get the snake released from the certain body parts they have clamped down on..

My female Albino Gopher tagged this morning... Guess I cought her on a PMS day I don't know... I fed her a sm rat yesterday noticed this morning she took a huge BM and decided to clean the cage when I reached in to get her she struck and got my ring finger on the left hand.. (It's always on my left hand ring finger lol)

Ok what it felt like: The gophers teeth are 2 rows of curved teeth going back towards the throat.. When she latched on I felt every one of those curved teeth go in.. Then she pulled my hand so she could curl around my wrist to start eating my hand with this pulling came a very hurting and pressurized stinging pain.. I then grabbed her by the back of the neck and she disengaged her teeth and I let her go back in her tank after I cleaned it lol.. Also 2-3 days after I get bite I always get little tiny blisters where the bite site is.. Don't really know why.. Also the big red area on my finger is what one of the teeth riped the top layer of skin aways when she disengaged her teeth..

I'll give her a few days to calm down before holding her again.. So I don't stress her... She's a very calm snake one of the calmest rescues I gotten in.. Just I guess I cought her on her PMS day..

Now for the pics.. I was bleeding and wanted to take pics but my husband told me I needed to clean the bite site up first and then take the pics so here they are.. (Not the best pics as were still use a crappy cam because ours is still being used by another friend of ours lol..)

This is the female Albino Gopher:

This is the bite she left me with lol:

Thanks, ~*Natalie*~

Re: The Bite Report

Here is one of mine.... Sorry it's not so clear.

When I first got my female parietalis, the guy at the show let me hold her. She was under a lot of stress; there was a lot of heat, light, and sound around her.
    She grappled onto the skin on my index finger knuckled and chewed back and forth. After she had finished here she grabbed onto fleshy part of my thumb and chewed and chewed and chewed until there were cuts all along my thumb. I don't think I have a pic on hand, but it was the nastiest bite I ever got from a garter. Today, she's a real sweetheart.

The other day, Don sent me two wandering garters and a big male corn. *Pics soon. :P*
    After he had warmed up a bit, I offered him a fuzzy. He lunged at it and nicked my thumb and index finger. There was no blood, and I only felt what seemed like 4-5 teeth in me. Minor setback.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

More pictures please!!! For those of us who haven't been bitten(ME) it's nice to see how managable the bites actually seem... that gopher has to be 5 times the size of the garter I'm worried about... a few more pics and I'll confidently pick up Little(not) Miss Ella.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

no bites here with any snakes(YET), but I sure have been bitten by a 5ft Male Iguana! That did not feel good, I had to go to the hospital!
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    More pictures please!!! For those of us who haven't been bitten(ME) it's nice to see how managable the bites actually seem... that gopher has to be 5 times the size of the garter I'm worried about... a few more pics and I'll confidently pick up Little(not) Miss Ella.
    Defense strikes (my parietalis chewing was more of a ticked-off-beyond-all-belief-fighting-for-my-life attack), I'd say, are best described as someone raking course Velcro across you.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Quote Originally Posted by reptile3 View Post
    no bites here with any snakes(YET), but I sure have been bitten by a 5ft Male Iguana! That did not feel good, I had to go to the hospital!

Chomper head bunts me, no bites yet.

Old and wise snake

but if chomper ever does whats out!!! Aaron(my husband) got his thumb shredding by a Nile and he bled for 3-4 hours after the bit happened..
    Thanks, ~*Natalie*~

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    someone raking course Velcro across you.
    Yeah, I guess I could handle that
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

You know Wayne i ahve a breeding pair of gophers and my female sure will put a bite on me. More than once time I've gotten hit. It seems to be the breed either docile or MadMax
    Michael