Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Handling Garters

How often should garter snakes be handled. The snake was coping really well with being handled gently for a couple of minutes every day up until tonight i've just tried to pick it up and it totally freaked. It zipped round real quick and then cornered itself, when I picked it up it was very tense and agitated, it then musked, I think, as it gave of a very strong smell and I had a white residue on my hand . He’s settled down now and is patrolling the tank as normal. I wasn’t particularly worried by this behaviour, however, I am curious to know what the general consensus is. Handle less or More. Everyone’s thoughts and opinions have been superb by the way I'm so glad I stumbled over this forum.

Re: Handling Garters

That's strange. How many days have you been handling it? I don't really know how often you are supposed to handle it but 1-10 minutes seems fine, actually I think that was recomended by Cazador, Thamnophis, or somebody else (or maybe I read it online?).
    By the way, my snake's musk doesn't smell at all. I picked him/her up, got sprayed, then smelled it to see what it smelled like and it smelled like nothing.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

if your snakes musk doesn't smell...it's not musk...just feces.... My captive bred ones don't musk very often if they do at all...wild caught on the other hand do a lot!!!!

Well it's yellowish, and he does it whenever I pick him up. Although my freind said his snake crapped all over his wall when he picked him up (he has a milksnake though). When I asked him if it was actually poop he said it was brown.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

If you don't have the nasty musky smell, it's poop...mostly black and white, have seen it yellow also...when mine are in hibernation they poop yellow since they do drink but don't eat.....

If he musked on you, you would know it. The smell is unmistakable and very strong.

Sometimes, they just seem to want a little peace & quiet. Whenever they're agitated (twitching their tails or fleeing), I just leave them alone for a while and try again later. If they don't calm down after a few attempts (sometimes over a period of days), I take them to the bathtub! The goal is to make every handling session pleasant for myself and the snakes.

I have a few that just won't calm down.....My snow plains is one.....my ornage red sider, high red oregon red spots.....bite me every time i try to feed, or at least try!!!

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

I only handle my garters when absolutely neccesary. And when i have too, i pick them up with a cloth. This calms them down and when they musk, they do it in the cloth.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

I don't handle my snakes unless it's necessary. But when they musk, you'll certainly smell it, my cyrtopsis get's an A+ on that part.

My garter usually pees on me apparently, but just last night I experienced a very bad smell while seeing if my snake had mites that I would assume is musk
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis