Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up The benefits of handling + other stuff

Well, you might remember me posting up in a previous thread where we were discussing the benefits or not of handling on our favourite snakies. I mentioned a study I did with two male Ribbon Snakes from the same litter ... Well ..... I found my scribbles (ie old notebook)

The study ran from 07/09/1995 to 20/12/1995 . The snakes (Steve and Dave) were 40.5cm and 47.5cm long and weighed 9.6g and 9.5g . Steve was handled extensively and Dave was the 'control' snake (ie minimum human contact). Both snakes would averagely consume half their body weight or slightly less at each feeding.

Study figures

Steve was handled for a total of 551.53hours
    Dave was handled for 9.15hours

Steve gained 8.5g
    Dave gained 1.2g

Steve gained 7.5cm
    Dave gained 4.5cm

Steve was people friendly and very active
    Dave was less active and would regulary musk when handled

Conclusion: Handling rocks!!!
    Although, like I mentioned before, both snakes achieved a similar adult length and weight I beleive that all other factors aside that regular handling promotes the growth of young snakes.
    (Also a larger study would be required for any real conclusion as my resources were limited - this being an SYS school project)

Other sub-studies lol
    Choice chambers :
    Both snakes recognised the scent of objects from their enclosure and would congregate in the choice chamber containing the object.
    Both snakes when given the choice preferred the scent of my hand to both nothing and objects from their enclosure.
    Herbs:
    Both snakes showed a preferrence for Rosemary (from 2 seperate days of testing)
    Music:
    Steve and Dave's music genres of choice were Classical and Heavy Metal (and I'm not being biased lol!!! I spent weeks giving them a chance to experience everything Pop/Rap/Country you name it) although it's a little generalised.
    The scientific way to analyse this is to confirm that Steve and Dave were drawn to music with slightly more erratic rythms (which would be more in tune with a prey item, for example). Heavily repetitive and bass heavy rythms (such as dance music) Repelled them (just like when you are told to use heavy footsteps in areas with poisonous snakes - giving the impression of a large animal).

There you go now go give your snakes some love
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Re: The benefits of handling + other stuff

lol
    Nice.
    I just notice the direct benefit of handling: The snake is much calmer and views you as part of their environment instead of a threat, and more as a food giver. *As opposed to a food source. :P*
    I'm working on getting all my snakes to eat while in my hands, so far Fatty, the one who's been handled the most, is growing like a weed and has no problems eating while in or out of shed.

It's good stuff .... I've been noticing that Slithers, my red-sided, has shown almost the same rate of growth as Steve in my studies and he's been getting an average 2-3.5hours a week climbing his human tree
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

I have noticed a difference in behaviour when exposed to different types of music too! I find when there is classical music they are much more active. They seem to go about looking for the source of the sound, while the more repetitive dancy music sends them into hiding.
    Both Deejay and Stitch really seemed to take a liking to traditional choir-sung Christmas carols during the holidays.
    I didn't realise other people had even looked into this type of thing, Greg........glad you posted this info!
    Anji

But.... they don't have ears! They just pick up ground-born vibration through their lower jaw. I think you'll find they respond more to the bass volume than to the genre.
    James.

Which makes me think...
    Do you think they can recognize our voice by the rate and intensity of the vibration? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Do you think they can recognize our voice by the rate and intensity of the vibration? :O
    ............no............
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Which makes me think...
    I think it's more likely that they would be able to recognize us by the smell of our breaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I think it's more likely that they would be able to recognize us by the smell of our breaths.
    If you're willing to look for it (as I am) there is an opportunity to mention houmous in every thread on this forum.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    If you're willing to look for it (as I am) there is an opportunity to mention houmous in every thread on this forum.
    Yeah, I've noticed.

ps. what's the difference between houmous and humus?