Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

Missing Mombassa

Until a few weeks ago we owned three corn snakes. Now we own two. And we have noone but ourselves to blame! No, no, don't worry, she didn't die...we swapped her for a viv and £20. Seemed like a good idea at the time as we never seemed to really take to her since we got her for my daughter about a year ago. She was often hiding, too (being nocturnal and all) and was a little grumpy with Hannah, though she was lovely and mellow with the rest of us. So we decided to make more space for the other species we have and offered her on the reptileuk forums. Someone close by came to buy her and seemed really pleased with her, said he wanted to breed from her. We realised we both knew his uncle, who went out with a friend of mine many years ago. He left me very positive feed back, which eased the little sting of letting Mombassa go a bit. I was quite surprised that I felt sad to see her go, I guess I liked her more than I realised!
    The buyer promised me Mombassa's shed as she was blue when he collected her and to keep me updated on her progress. I have now sent him a couple of messages while he's been online asking how she was doing but have not had any reply. He has also taken all the corn snakes he owned out of the listing in his signature... My guess is, he's sold her on.

Hannah and I are surprised how tearful we feel about it. I have to say I now also feel kind of guilty for having let her go.

Re: Missing Mombassa

Aw, Esther... that is rough. It's unfair, also, if indeed he did sell her without letting you know that was his intention, after you made it so obvious you were invested in her future.

I'd keep trying to reach him... heck, tell him your daughter is missing her and would like to buy her back, and see what happens.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

gosh
    I know that feeling
    I have trouble letting go of any of my snakes
    we just don't know where they'll end up
    I so regretted trading two of my babies, because every time I went to the store, I felt so guilty, seeing them in the little display tank without enough water to swim in
    I kept wanting to tell Sean to tell the buyer all sorts of stuff and I knew I needed to keep my mouth shut
    I hope your Mombassa will be fine either way, but also that you find out what happened at the very least
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

It's really not my day.

Hannah's collared lizard had dug himself into the substrate and I checked on him today as we had been away for the weekend. Sadly I found him stiff as a board and with a blooming mealworm nibbling his side. I was totally horrified! I don't know what he died off, but of course keep blaming myself.
    When I read the care sheets it said they often sleep for long periods, on one of the other forums someone had collareds that regularly sleep for 36 hours, so I didn't want to disturb him. Maybe he didn't get enough fluids? Again on the caresheets it recommended just a saucer of water but with all those lights the water evaporated so, so quickly. I feel really ill as I'm sure it must be my fault.
    We had to be so very careful when opening the viv as "Colin" was the speediest little thing and had already made a major bid for freedom a week or so ago but we managed to catch him before the cats did.
    Maybe animals that are so difficult to confine aren't very good pets at all and should better be left where they belong? If something doesn't want to be tamed maybe it shouldn't be locked up for our own pleasure?

Damn. Sorry about both your losses.

I know the feeling, it can really gnaw at you when you start to realize that you made a "bad" deal. I've parted with a few animals that I only later realized I should have kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I've parted with a few animals that I only later realized I should have kept.
    Tell me about it... I gave away my group of 5 ordinoides a few years ago. Now I've lost touch with the guy, so I don't know if he ever bred them so I could get some back.
    James.

Aw, so sorry about the lizard. I feel sure it was not your fault. Stuff happens, you know? There could be 100 reasons he shuffled off this mortal coil at this time. Don't blame you!!
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

sorry for your loss, dont blame yourself you tried your best didnt you, so you couldnt be at fault.
    Quadruple Sport Enthusiast
    Wrestling
    Track
    Soccer
    Cross Country

oh man
    so sorry about the lizard
    what a rough day
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Third shed, A Success" tikichick's Avatar

I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope you can find out about the snake!
    "Mai kolohe i ka mo' o o lele ka pali" -
    Do not bother lizards or you'll fall off a cliff.