Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: garter bites

"Preparing For Second shed" Pinky's Avatar

garter bites

Ever since a very large garter bit me, when i was around 11-12yrs,i have been not really affraid(me big manly man) but very leary of getting bit. Now every time mr. pink goes to lunge at me i pull away!!!i don't want him to realize that's all he has to do.so i guesse what i want to know is...how bad does it really hurt(don't remember)and how long are there teeth on average?he does have a pretty small head!!!

Marc & Marie

Re: garter bites

It doesn't hurt at all, just a slight pressure, and you don't need to worry about the teeth. They can just barely grab hold of you, they don't come close to getting through your skin unless it's a bigger snake.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

well i'm a little bit settled...gonna wait for a few more posts to help build my courage!LOL thanx Elliot!!!!
    Marc & Marie

Ummm....dont' know if my post will help you out at all or not. If your garter is larger then say 1.5ft. then it'll probably break the skin. My little T.s.concinnus that I have has already broken the skin and she's only a little longer then a foot. Thing you have to remember is that you don't want to jerk away. Snakes have thin, long teeth that are designed to just grap a hold of and grip their prey while the swallow them. If you jerk away, something that might have just been a few pin pricks will turn into small lacerations. Also you may end up pulling teeth out and will have to remove them from the wound and my injure you snake. Over all in the scheme of things...a snake bite from a small snake like a garter is really nothing. I've been bitten over 200 times by various species and sizes of snakes, and while some of the larger pythons and such were rather painful......I've definitely had A LOT worse. You really have nothing to seriously worry about from you garter.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

I agree with Roy there. It's important not to jerk your hand away if you're bitten....for the snake's sake.
    James.

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

When Zulu bit me, it was just like the tiniest little pinpricks. It didn't hurt at all, though she managed to draw a little drop of blood and it was a bit itchy for a few seconds. I wouldn't want to get bitten again, purely because I'd be concerned that I might injure the snake. It's a reflex to pull away if something lunges at you, but I think it's more of a concern the first time as you are totally unprepared for it.

i know i wouldn't pull away, i'd be good that way...I just have to work on not being so anxious when he does thrash at me!he is just over 2ft. long but has a small head so i kinda figured his teeth won't be too long!thanx you guys this really helps me to be prepared if he does bite!!!LOL
    Marc & Marie

Marc, you could try wearing rubber gloves, as discussed in this thread.......

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...snake-hmm.html
    James.

I'd rather just take one on the hand...I just needed to calm my nervs a bit!lol I used to have a Blue Crowned Conure (Parrot) and she had no problems drawing blood when she was mad and i never worried about it!!snakes and snake bites just have a bad rep. i guesse!!!lol thanx againg for all your help, it has reasured me, i'm sure i'll be fine if he does land a bite
    Marc & Marie

For me it never hurt rather ten surprise ya idk thats how i can descibe it.
    Josh

0.0.2 T.s.sirtalis