Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: garter bites

Hi, I'm New Here! Dianemike1997's Avatar

Re: garter bites

Snakie bit me a few timess,and it drew small drops of blood. (Snakie is about 8 inches in size.) It itched a little after he bit me. From what I have read online,the itching is cause by a reaction to the Garter's saliva. Not all people have the itchy reaction though.

"Preparing For Second shed"

Actually I've had an interesting read lately... I've been told that hognose/neordia/garters all have some basic venom, however they lack a delivery system, instead it just trickles down into the wound which isn't very effective and it isn't bad for humans... I'm not 100% sure this is true, but there where articles and studies on it aswell I can try and find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Actually I've had an interesting read lately... I've been told that hognose/neordia/garters all have some basic venom, however they lack a delivery system, instead it just trickles down into the wound which isn't very effective and it isn't bad for humans... I'm not 100% sure this is true, but there where articles and studies on it aswell I can try and find.
    Downloaded a number of PDFs on the subject of venom in "non-venomous" colubrids last winter.

"Preparing For Second shed" Pinky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That's kinda freaky!!!Let's hope they never find their delivery system.LOL
    Marc & Marie

I did a little research and found this article...

Grenard cites a case from 1985 in which a 13-year-old received a “prolonged” bite from an eastern garter snake. The child had swelling, bruising of the skin, and coolness (temperature, not social status!) and was hospitalized. Lab values were normal and the child recovered without problems. Evidently this same child was subsequently bitten by garter snakes without symptoms, showing that the original symptoms were not the result of an allergic reaction but apparently the result of mild venom. (The fact that this child continued to be bitten by garter snakes also demonstrates that he must have been a dedicated garter-lover!)
    Marc & Marie

wow that is surprising
    Josh

0.0.2 T.s.sirtalis

it's the prolonged exposure that causes the reaction
    I read a report on a man who let a hognose chew on his ankle for several minutes (he thought it was cute and it didn't hurt) and had a big reaction
    he ended up in the hospital for over a week and they were barely able to save his leg
    there may not be much of a delivery system . . .
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I wish there was more info on garter snake invenomation...it's very interesting!!!
    Marc & Marie

I actually hope the subject escapes serious investigation by scientists. All we need is for lawmakers to decide our snakes are rear fanged and therefore dangerous!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Quote Originally Posted by KITKAT View Post
    I actually hope the subject escapes serious investigation by scientists. All we need is for lawmakers to decide our snakes are rear fanged and therefore dangerous!
    I hope somebody comes up with a new category that includes only dangerously venomous snakes. Because there's no chance in hell that lawmakers would abolish an irrational law.