Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bites!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: bites!

When I go herping, I simpyl expect every garter I pick up to bite the crap out of me, if it doesn't, that is all fine and dandy, but if it does, it never surprises me!!!

It's kind of like being attacked by a pin cushion. It has some potential to make you bleed a little bit, but it's funny at the same time.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

Woo I am still on my streak of 28 years never been bit! Of course, there's 15 or so years in there that are no contact years, but still. No bites for 09!!!
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...

Here is one, Shown before. I picked up a decent size eastern female, she chewed on my hand for a few minutes.

I didn't want to hurt her, so I let her until she tired of it.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dashnu View Post
    I believe if you are calm snake is calm, may be a bit out there but I really think its true. It's all about the energy the dog whisperer approach!
    well, there is something to that- in the way that it definitely makes a difference how you approach them and handle them. Making yourself appear to be a threat or not...

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

yeah..... the wild ones i do not secure..... i just gently pick them up and let them glide through my fingers...... and if you pick them up around the middle or lower half they also seem less likely to bite..... the only one that ever really got me good was meadow..... and that was because i firmly caught her by the neck..... just a bit too far down to restrain her from biting.... but from how she was the second time i ever handled her and all the rest i think that she was just really really frightened.......
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

In one of my dumber moments(there have been many) I has holding a very angry large wild Radix(named Stubby Tail) too close to my face. He grabbed the end of my nose. My kids broke out laughing. I pealed him off and their eyes got big as the blood started dripping off my nose. There wasn't any pain but those little needle teeth did their job. Stubby Tail lived in our neighborhood and was found around our home a few times a year. Then one day Gabby came in the house crying. She took me out to the street where we found Stubby Tail dead. He didn't look both ways before crossing. The memory of him always brings a smile to my kid's faces.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Steve, I can just picture that nose-biting scene.
    Poor ol' Stubby-Tail. Glad you had some good times with him.
    BTW, I love your way of telling stories - makes me smile.
    Anji

Quote Originally Posted by dashnu View Post
    The two boys I have from you are really mellow. My Blacknecks are nuts, my checkereds are skittish.. Its really great how different each type are. Thay all have there own traits.

My CB eastern use to be very very tame. Since she started taking pinks she tries to bite me each time I go in the terrarium. Guess it could be the "energy level" maybe that the pinks give her?

Has anyone else noticed a change in behavior related to food types feed or supplements given? Im going i bit OT i guess.
    no way i hear that completely. since we cant ask them! lol
    <3 Snakems

yayy! lol i love when I come back on here and one of my posts had a lot of responses! haha
    all of these stories and responses are SUPER INTERESTING.
    I love hearing them. It's so neat to live vicariously through others HAHA
    <3 Snakems

"Third shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    In one of my dumber moments(there have been many) I has holding a very angry large wild Radix(named Stubby Tail) too close to my face. He grabbed the end of my nose. My kids broke out laughing. I pealed him off and their eyes got big as the blood started dripping off my nose. There wasn't any pain but those little needle teeth did their job. Stubby Tail lived in our neighborhood and was found around our home a few times a year. Then one day Gabby came in the house crying. She took me out to the street where we found Stubby Tail dead. He didn't look both ways before crossing. The memory of him always brings a smile to my kid's faces.
    Great story minus the sad ending but I would have been right next to your kiddos laughing once I saw "stubby tail" latch onto your nose