Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New to Snakes in General

Welcome! You'll like it here and will meet a great bunch of folks who are always there to help and answer questions for us new-snake-owners
    Hello, I'm a new owner...found a Garter at work so I decided to keep it. Don't know what kind, but I'm thinking it's an Eastern since I live in WV.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks a bunch! I was figuring it was an Eastern Garter after doing a bit of looking online, but was still unsure. As I mentioned I always see the garters that are black/yellow like the ribbon snakes around here. I'm in southern New Hampshire. I have this little guy all set up nice. I happened to have a few extra things as I'm building a vivarium for my anoles and bought too much (of course). So he has a smaller tank (10gal) for now with reptile soil I ordered online, a fairly big water dish...he fits in no issue, a few live plants, and a hide log. He tends to hang out at the top of the plants.

I do have one question though. When I put him in the container I had when I found him he immediately regurgitated a red eft (eastern newt juvenile). I'm assuming that's not a good thing but will that have any impact on him (or her)? I did feel a bit guilty about that.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Not an expert, but it was probably just the stress of capturing & moving him. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how long have you had it and have you already fed it something else?

I'd give him a few days to a week to settle down before feeding him, but if you've already done so and he's held that meal down, just keep an eye on him. A vet visit may be in order if the problem continues, but given the circumstances I'm sure it was just the stress.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I've had him about a week and he ate a guppy and toadlet within the week without any issues. I waited a couple of days before feeding because I read not to feed if they're stressed. He seems perfectly fine now.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Wouldn't worry too much about it then
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Re: New to Snakes in General

These guys tend to calm down a bit as they get older? This guy is calmer when I walk by and seems curious. But strikes as soon as I go near the cage. He got me good trying to change the water, actually took a tad bit of finger with him . Obviously not a huge amount but I do like my fingers lol! Would I be better off letting this little one go and just buying from a breeder? The adults I've caught and let go were all quite calm. Just this morning I moved one away from the road that was large (over 2 ft easy) and she just hung out on my arm for a good 10min after I was letting her go in the woods. I've never seen one this aggressive.