Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cautionary tale

"First shed In Progress" nitrogen15's Avatar

Cautionary tale

Terra-cotta pots make great hides for snakes, so I put a broken one in with Tiger. It was the larger half of a pot, so the hole at the base was still intact. When I first put it in I made sure she could easily fit through the hole, just to be safe. I didn't realize how fat she'd been getting over the past year until she tried to thread herself through the hole yesterday and got totally stuck. So stuck that she was dragging the pot around the terrarium. I had to saw through the pot with a jig-saw and break it into pieces to rescue her without causing any damage.

Anybody else had mishaps with decor they could share?

Re: Cautionary tale

Glad to hear you got her out without any injury.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

SCOUSER

a happy ending to what might have been a tragic outcome, but you story shows the fallacy of the oft quoted claim that if a snake can get its head through a gap then it can get all of its body through
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Our Binky likes to "wear her coconut" as Char phrases it... there will come a day when I will need to enlarge the hole in the top of her coconut, or Binky will have to stop using it.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Better to enlarge it now than to forget it later.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Better to enlarge it now than to forget it later.
    Sage advice.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I inspect all decorations and hides and fill holes/gaps with a hot glue gun.

I found a nice looking rock formation once inended for aquariums, and I figured it would be fine for snakes so I put it in an enclosure with a litter of babies.

After the fact I discovered that there were small holes in the bottom to let the water in so it would sink to the bottom of the aquarium.

After a day I couldn't find a single baby, they had climbed inside the rock ornament through the little holes, I had a difficult time getting the snakes back out... I fill all hollow things like this with hot glue now to keep the snakes from entering.

"Preparing For Second shed" Char361979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Our Binky likes to "wear her coconut"
    She does indeed! We've often commented that she will get too big for it eventually... After reading this I think we need to get the drill out now to be on the safe side.

"First shed In Progress" nitrogen15's Avatar

I'm keeping a closer eye on tank ornaments after this, for sure. No more ornaments with holes, just to be safe. Tiger is a great snake, and didn't bite, musk or fight throughout the ordeal. She's also totally undamaged, so I feel pretty lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by PINJOHN View Post
    a happy ending to what might have been a tragic outcome, but you story shows the fallacy of the oft quoted claim that if a snake can get its head through a gap then it can get all of its body through
    In my experience that claim is true for mice, but not for snakes.

After reading this I think we need to get the drill out now to be on the safe side.
    I'm glad Tiger's mishap helped to prevent a similar one with Binky. After this incident I'm inclined to advise against round holes altogether, and only endorse semicircular ones.

Banned

I got Amy as a baby. As soon as he started having trouble getting through the holes in that first hide, I ditched it like a hot potato since I have already "been there, done that" when I was first starting out with snakes. Not even 6 months later, I don't think he could have even fit under the bottom, let alone poke his head out through that hole.

He liked to play "peek-a-boo" with that hide. Or was it "jack-in-the-box" ? a little of both I think. Find the snake: