Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

Store-bought Frozen Frog Legs?

I bought these from the store today. The packaging just said "frog legs" under ingredients and it's a product of Vietnam. What do you guys think? Okay?

Edit: Did a quick google search for "frog legs product vietnam" and it seems that the species is likely Hoplobatrachus rugulosus.
    kimberly

Re: Store-bought Frozen Frog Legs?

No.........

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

No way I'd risk it.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Not to mention, they chopped those legs off live frogs and threw the writhing torso into the trash to die slow.

Stefan once said "I would rather support the sale of panda legs"

Subadult snake i_heart_sneakie_snakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Not to mention, they chopped those legs off live frogs and threw the writhing torso into the trash to die slow.

Oh wow, that is so horrible. I had no idea they did that
    0.2.4 T.s. Fitchi - Flickabee and Salem
    0.1 T.s. Sirtalis - Failte

1.1 T.e.Vagrans - Lumiere and Pumpkin
    T.s. Pickeringii- Little Boy Blue

Oh...crap. Lol. I just saw "frog leg" and thought "snake!"

Out of curiosity, would you mind explaining a little more? Is it because they are from overseas? Parasites? Toxins? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post

As for that, I find the comment a little silly. It didn't even cross my mind about how they processed the frogs and I guess you can say I was a little bit of an ignorant consumer in just purchasing them spontaneously. And yes, it is gross and horrible to think of a bunch of writhing frog torsos in a trash can. But at the same time, if I had asked whether or not feeding beef would be okay, I'm pretty sure that nobody would have mentioned anything about how cows are mass produced on factory farms in abysmal conditions. I am also pretty sure that nobody would have brought up the procedures used to mass-slaughter these cows, or that producing meat creates a higher percentage of greenhouse gases than driving. Finally, I am definitely sure nobody would have mentioned that it takes more water to produce 4 pounds of beef than it does to take a 7-minute shower every single day for a year.

It seems like it is incredibly easy for us to bash foreign practices and procedures while we turn a blind eye to our own practices because they are so common to us. So unless somebody consumes only free-range meat and meat products, or is vegan altogether, I think it's a little hypocritical to bash foreign practices. Sorry, to get a little of track, just my thoughts on the matter.
    kimberly

I think it is less bashing and more fact/info.
    This isn't an easy situation and we all have to decide for ourselves what we will do.
    It's much like the debate about buying snakes from the sellers that collect wild snakes or import in wild caught snake.
    I would like to rescue all of them in this situation but buying them only causes the seller to purchase more. Then this terrible cycle never ends. Unfortunately it may take the death of these snakes to make it uneconomical for them to continue this pratice.
    Just my thoughts.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Please don't think I'm bashing anyone, I'm not a basher....

frog legs are harvested the same way worldwide.

Yes, I can totally relate to that. I used to always go into walmart or petsmart and try to "save" fish. But when you think about it, even if you might have saved one fish, you'be just created another space to be filled.

Just to clarify, I don't mean it in a "well it's no different then buying beef so let's buy away" kind of a way. I just mean we shouldn't ONLY frown upon the cruelty coming from others towards those poor little froggies while we sit down and, say, have a guilt-free steak dinner. I am in no way directing this towards anybody on this thread! For all I know, you guys could be hardcore vegans. I mean it very generally -- in a "we should think of things from all angles" kind of a way.
    kimberly

No no, I didn't mean it that way! Bash might not have been the best word. Maybe "critique" would have been a better choice.

...and btw, I love, love beef but the issues are always in the back (very back) of my mind. I hope that they will one day surface enough for me to do something about it.
    kimberly