Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "First shed In Progress"

shotgut therapy for w/c garters

i bought some w/c pugets garters sometime back. i was told that they had been treated of parasites. this morning i found a worm swimming in the water bole. I'm going to take the worm to my vet to make sure this treatment will work. but i was going to give them some fenbendazole and metronidazole to get read of them. I was wondering what everyone did on here wen takeing in w/c garters to try to get ride of there parasites ?

Re: shotgut therapy for w/c garters

That sounds terrible. Im no help on this subject, as i dont know whats safe for reptiles, but on my mammals i use ivermectin is so much better then fenbendazole. That almost sounds like quest wormer? i hope not, it has done alot of damage to horses in my area, mainly stallion sterility, mares aborting foals, killing foals, etc. but as i said i dont know if ivermectin is even safe for reptiles. but i do know it kills pretty much all internal parasites, oh accept tape worms, have to get ivermectin gold for that... oh wait never mind thats panacur or safeguard, nevermind the quest wormer part.

I have heard Ivermectin is not safe for reptiles.
    Check out the warning * toward the middle of the page.
    Common Reptile Drugs and Dosages
    My Vet. treats my snakes with Panacur.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks steve, thanks good to know for future reference.

"First shed In Progress"

All i could find on ivermectin in reptiles was this. (Ivermectin is administered in near-toxic doses to be effective, and must be repeated often 3 times to be as effective as the far less toxic fenbendazole. Merck, the maker of ivermectin, does not recommend its use in reptiles. Often fatal or nearly so to small, debilitated reptiles. May cause paralysis, blindness, etc. in larger reptiles. Its use is not recommended for lizards and snakes; it is nearly always fatal when used in turtles and tortoises. Ivermectin toxicity includes paralysis and blindness.)

"First shed In Progress"

guess i should have said fenbendazole = panacur for parasites and metronidazole = flagyl is a antibiotics for kill some of the protozoans

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Metronidazole (flagyl) and fenbendazole (panacur) seem to be the safest and most effective deworming meds for reptiles but it always depends on what type of parasites the snake has. If it's tapeworms or flukes you might have to use praziquantel. No matter what you treat it with once you are done treating and you get a clear fecal you should give some probiotics such as benebac gel because the dewormers kill the important bacteria as well. I hope everything goes well at the vet.
    Bluesirtalis

yeah thats bad, bad, bad. Steve is the expert lol go by what he says. Like i said i had no idea if it was safe or not. I havent had to do my snakes yet so this is unchartered territory, but now i know as well. So go with your first thought the panacur, its what steve's vet recommends for his snakes. That is terrible what it can do to them. wow, I know i cant give it to my part border collie female either, as it can be fatal to collie's so i use safeguard wormers on her as well, which looks to be the same as panacur. I love this forum im learning all kinds of things.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselbaby View Post
    yeah thats bad, bad, bad. Steve is the expert lol go by what he says.
    Thanks for your kind words but I am not expert. Just a member/keeper still learning.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress"

i wish i had a vet likes Steve's around here. it hard to find one that will even look at reptiles were i live at.