Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Housing question

I have found a home for all of my baby NW (Thank you Joe), except for the one male we are keeping (Fish Bait). My question is would it be ok to house him in the 20L with the rest of the adults now. He is about 9in long and a very good eater. I would take him out to feed, but other than that, is it safe to house a 2mo old in with the adults. The adults have shown now aggression toward him when put together for observation. Thought?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Re: Housing question

I don't know. It's kinda early. The size could cause accidents.

I keep my babies, Mama, Runt and Thumbelina in a 20 gallon together and there hasn't been any problems at all. This is, of course, temporary. When Hades is done with quarantine, all the boys will have their 20 gallon, girls will have theirs and the babies will have a 15 gallon.

Just make sure to watch them carefully, and perhaps feed Fish Bait somewhere else so the big snakes don't mistake him for food.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I think there are 2 major concerns.

#1. It is very possible that he could get eated in a feeding accident. Even taking him out for feeding doesn't mean he'll be safe once he's put back in with the larger snakes. If he has scent on him orregurgitates they might eat him. THIS IS A REAL CONCERN.

#2. Probably less of a concern would be if he gets crushed or rolled over by one of the bigger snakes.

Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Those were my two concerns. If he smells like food, CHOMP. bye-bye fish bait.

Then he's tiny and could get crushed, but if he's a healthy strong little guy I don't think that would be too big a problem...

I did a test with one of the Pugets, as they were my main concern as far as aggression. I just fed the babies around 4:30. I put Toothless and Fish Bait together in the 5 gal. and gave Toothless a worm. I watched them very closely and they didn't seem to even care the other was there. Even after Toothless was done with her worm she sniffed Fish Bait, but passed right by him. I'm not too worried about him getting squished as he isn't tall enough to get up on the high shelf areas, the rest is substrate and squishy. Should I still keep them apart?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

idk about the size difference for NW garters, but I wouldn't put my 5 month old baby in with my adult yet, just because if an accident did occur, she wouldn't be able to do anything.
    I tend to be overly paranoid with my animals, but I personally wouldn't risk it...
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post
    Should I still keep them apart?
    I say YES. It's not worth the risk.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Ok, Thanks! Maybe when he's bigger.
    Kat

It's not about aggression. It's about him being scented with food or something and being grabbed accidentally...

I don't think it's a huge concern, but I don't think it's worth the risk. Is there a reason you want him in there?