Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Subadult snake InsanePirateDragon's Avatar

My First Snake Tank: Opinions?

Now this is my first snake, thus first snake viv, so its a work in progress (Tank under Marley's is the Leopard Gecko tank).

Its a simple one for the moment with a couple of hides, pool, and other basics, don't want to go all out just yet. Its a simple ten gallon, didn't want to go to big just yet, and Marley's only about 11 inches so far and I read that the big tanks can stress them out too much. I know that she'll have to go bigger eventually and am already planning for the bigger one in a couple of years.

And she seems to enjoy burrowing in the aspen, she's given me a scare a couple of times when I peeked in her house and didn't find her and dug through the bedding to find her.

I sort of borrowed some ideas from my experience with Leopard Geckos, the tiles and the paper towels. Tiles work really well with the UTH since they help conduct heat pretty well. And using one you have to have sort of a thermo on the bottom of the tank to monitor the temp.

And paper towels are great if you're worried about impaction and easy and cheap to change out from under the hides, where she seems to like to poop around(or in her pool, too bad they don't need a poop rock as Leos will go in the same spot so no having to hunt around)

I do want to give her stuff to slither up on and give her some height at the moment.

Re: My First Snake Tank: Opinions?

You can give her a larger tnk, but if you do, make sure there are a lot of places to hide. You can go to the dollar store and get some fake plants to put in there and make her feel more comfortable.

She likely hides under the aspen because there aren't enough hides. My snake, Hades is always under his bedding because I haven't been able to buy any plants or find any wood for hides (yet).
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"Preparing For First shed"

Some thing I am puzzled with, not only observing your tank, but also other pictured ones.
    What I see is a glass container, with a missing top, I presume to be covered with mesh screen or other tops, but what I do not see are the customary (at least customary in the tanks I have seen in Italy) vents, traditionally one high up, and the opposite, down at substrate level.
    These vents, I have been told, ensure ventilation and the necessary change of air/oxigen.....

Are they there and the pictures do not show them?

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico View Post
    Some thing I am puzzled with, not only observing your tank, but also other pictured ones.
    What I see is a glass container, with a missing top, I presume to be covered with mesh screen or other tops, but what I do not see are the customary (at least customary in the tanks I have seen in Italy) vents, traditionally one high up, and the opposite, down at substrate level.
    These vents, I have been told, ensure ventilation and the necessary change of air/oxigen.....

Are they there and the pictures do not show them?
    vent? Could u please show a pic.
    I too think you could get a larger tank. But like what was said you need plenty of hides. When I had Pheobe I had plenty of hides and yet she still would dig and make tunnels everywhere. Her favorite spot to hide was in the coco-fiber but under her hide . Her hide was made from the bottom end of a caprisun box. They seem to love that.
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

More hides would be good. Foliage is alwas good, and youcan get it cheap.

Here's how I do it. All this cost $20 total. You don't even have to go this crazy.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...new-setup.html

"Preparing For First shed"

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs N1ntndo View Post
    vent? Could u please show a pic.
    A vent is a portion of the viv's side made with screen, netting, or any other material which allows air to pass thru.

This picture of my last terrarium shows the detail of the frontal vent. There is another opposite and above it, so the air circulates, hot air goes upward and exits the enclosure from the top vent, and fresh air enters the enclosure from the bottom front vent. Alternatively, the vents can be placed on the side panels, same layout, one top and one bottom.
    Otherwise how the stale air can go out, and how can oxigen enters it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

And now the new and improved house for Miss Marley, she seems to like it,

And is already chilling out in the trees

That is awesome!! Lots of places to hide and lots to climb on. Good job!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Looks good...thanks for sharing!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thanks, figured it was time to go all out since I did the same with my Leo's tank, Marley deserved the same treatment.

I at first had just plain bamboo in there but it seemed to slick for her and she wasn't interested, but after a bit of work and vine, she's climbing like crazy and already claimed it as her own by proceeding to poop anywhere.