Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Subadult snake

Thumbs up PUGET Babies *update_ all eating well :))

Gosh they sure are a bunch of eating little monsters, lol. All babies from both litters have fed at least twice, most 3 times. It's been awhile since I looked for feeder guppies. Not too popular these days I guess as I had a tough time finding them. Good thing I got rosies & guppies as when I returned home and looked at the babies I realized that all could take down small rosies. Up until this time all had fed on earthworms and/or trout pieces. I set them up by putting each baby in an individual deli cup tilting the cup slightly to allow for a little water containing both guppies & rosies. Funny to watch them poke their heads about under the water, at first not knowing to open their mouths to snatch a fish. Once they got a 'taste' however they went wild !!! Fun to watch them teach themselves how to 'position' their meal using their jaws. Within their first few attempts some would give up & spit it out just as it seemed they had the fish positioned just right, but immediately snatched another and performed the motions quicker the 2nd time, usually eating the fish. Seems as if eating a fish is a step by step process to be mastered as such. After the 'how to position' step, they moved on to learn how to manipulate their jaws in order to swallow their prey. Once they got the hang of it I was adding fish to each deli cup quite often !!! In the end, they were all quite the little sausages. Amazing to witness all of this actually as you cannot help but wonder how they survive in the wild. Surely speaks to the overall condition of WC versus CB. After being alive a mere 9 & 10 days respectively the little buggers no longer flee from me in union.

enjoy your day !!
    marian
    Last edited by mikm; 05-09-2007 at 10:21 AM.

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

Re: PUGET Babies *update_ all eating well :))

It's good to hear that they're all doing so well
    And I'm sure that there's no movie that can beat to see your little babies try to catch a fish

Great to hear Marian. Hope we get to see some updated pics of the little ones soon.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

That is fantastic! Always nice to see everything goes well.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

I just have to throw this out there. In my opinion.................."bob" has competition that he can't match Awesome

Marian, great news that all your babies are eating so well. More pictures please!
    James.

Subadult snake

MIKE ... thanks for your too kind words These sweet babies are so co-operative (so far) making life alot easier. Though I admit that they are being totally pampered, ...

James, Yeah, I know ... pics, PICS, .. I mean that sincerely as those are always my first thoughts upon opening a post !!! I tried to snap a few pics this morning but there was not enough sun light yet. I thought tonight might be good as I had a free evening however my dig is MIA, well ... better said 'borrowed' for the evening as my niece wanted to show some classmates snake pics. Just as well as all babies (both litters) appear dull at the moment.

Litter #1 (Proud MaMa's 7 babies on 4/29/7) have all gotten much brighter and richer colorwise !!! Since they are so stuffed at the moment, you can see frequent sky/bright blue, 'speckling' throughout their bodies. The blue 'flecks' on these babies compare very well to the bright blue on this guy ===> . Their lower side body color at the moment is a very rich(bright), medium depth green. I am looking forward to posting pics of each Mom along with their respective babies and a blurb in regards any 'history' I have on the parents.

Anyway, Litter # 2 (Stubbs 4 babies on 4/30/7) are all little monster looking snakes, lol ... I have been looking at them and I suspect Litter #2 is THREE males and only ONE female. (Litter #1 definitely has both sexes just not sure of the ratio yet). This Litter (#2) also looks really dull at the moment. You can see blue & green on their sides (bottom) but it would probably take a newborn pink size meal to cause their skin to stretch enough to expose any 'speckling', lol.

Hoping for quick sheds .... I will take pics for record keeping. I would be more inclined to accumulate data on lineage, & age progressive pics and such ... Very anxious to see another litter of these 'on the ground' from someone else. They are very cool !!!

Will keep all ya'll posted ...
    marian

Hey Marian,
    Glad to hear the little ones are feeding and doing so well. It is funny watching a neonate garter trying to figure out exactly what to do with a fish for the first time. Can't wait to see the updated pics of them.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

it's so cool they're eating and thriving
    no pressure, but I'm looking forward to the pics as well
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Always nice to hear good news about the little one's