Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

"soft" and too calm snake

I've got a marcianus last month. He supposed to be healthy, but unfortunately he wasn'e and he still isn't.
    The first thing I noticed was that he had brown spots on the belly part. I red about it and I figured that it was some kind of fungus. I went to vet and he said the same thing. Snake was sprayed with some anti-fungus spray for dogs I think (my vet doesn't have experience with animals, he just helped mine) and he told to spray him every week through 3-4 weeks. I hold him in box with paper towels. He looks much better now. But this snake has also other, maby irrelevant with the fungus problems.

He doesn't want to eat at all. I tried earthworms, frozen fish, live fish and he doesn't seem to be interested. It could be because of the spraying which is really stressing and he isn't losing weight sagnifically so I think this is the smallest problem.

This snake isn't as activ as my other Thamnophis. He doesn't show any reaction when I open the box and get him out of his hidings. he doesn't run, he mostly doesn't move(i can get him on my hand in the position he was laying and he does nothing). He is also like more soflty built, he seems to be more flexible, his scales seem to be almost like in adult thamnophis (tomorrow he has "birthday" and he ends one year of living), but they are softer than in my other, younger and smaller snake.

I gave him today a mix of b1, calcium and a little bit of reptile witamins and he doesn't even protest very much, I had less problem with giving him witamins than with my leopard geckos and I got really really scared.

Have someone had similar problems with snakes? I've got about 60-70 miles to a decent vet and it is really much here in Poland.
    Sorry if you doesn't understand something, English isn't my mother language so some sentences could be strangely built
    0.0.2 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis x butleri
    1.0 Thamnophis marcianus
    1.3 Eublepharis macularius
    1.0 Canis familiaris

Re: "soft" and too calm snake

Your sentences are fine.
    From what you described I would say there is definitely something wrong.
    The not moving part just isn't normal for any snake. I do understand what you are saying when you said "softly built"
    This is what worries me the most. I have had a few snake reach this point and have unfortunately lost them all
    I am not a vet and don't claim to know what is wrong with your snake but it sounds familiar to my situation.
    Does the snake drink on its own?
    When you pick it up does it make any attempt at movement?
    Is it doing a lot of tongue flicking?
    Is it doing any quick head movements(looking around)?
    It does sound serious at this point and a trip to the Vet. in my opinion is called for.
    Wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Steve pretty much covered what I come up with
    it does not look good
    has the snake been this "soft" since you got it?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Defenately doesn't sound good....

Well he moves, but rather from the nessecity than because he wants to run away, hide or something. He acts as if he was a boa or other not active snake.
    I once seen he had head in the bowl with water and there was fish in it, so I don't know wheater he was drinking or trying to catch the fish.
    When i pick him up he does almost nothing, besides moving his head, flicking his tongue(he does that but rather less than my other thamnophis).
    He is soft from the beggining but I thought it was because of too humid enviroment he had earlier.

I gave him these vitamins(b1, calcium and reptile vitamins) and he seems to have more reaction when I touch him and he even started running away, but I don't know if it is just my wish for him to get better or the real improvement.
    I'll keep you posted.
    1.0 Thamnophis marcianus
    1.0 Canis familiaris

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Grab him by the middle with just two fingers and pick him up. Does he hang rather limply? The only garters I have ever had that acted like that died. Although in the rare cases it did haplen i couldnt find anythiNg outwardly wrong with them. It sounds like plain old lethargy to me. The brown spots are probably scale rot. It sounds like he's not well off. Scale rot is usually bacterial though if I am not mistaken so I doubt fungal spray does anything. To correct scale rot all you have to do is keep him really clean and dry. Keep him on plain paper towel and change his water frequently. Do not allow him to soak until the wounds heal, any moisture helps the bacteria grow. It's possible that the scale rot went systemic and is now an infection that is internal, cycling through his blood. If it is that bad, the only thing that may help him is antibiotics.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I did that and he is hanging without move, only moving his tongue. I touched him in other place and he quickly moved, earlier in the morning he didn't so I think it's a good sign.
    As you wrote about the lethargy I also put him today with the box in other place than usually and he has higher temperature there.

About the scale rot, it looks like this

I asked people who hold gathers in Poland and they all told that fungus is common in thamnophis and it looks like this (I sent them bigger picture, i know that you can't see on this much), my vet told the same thing so I thought they were right. He got better mostly after he shed.

Thank you for your suggestions and I hope that my snake will make it and will be healthy
    1.0 Thamnophis marcianus
    1.0 Canis familiaris

Banned

You have to catch scale rot and/or blister disease early (before it goes septic) and I treat it not only with dry clean conditions but also up the temperature for a while (up to 90 degrees) and dab on some povidone iodine a couple times a day for a few days. This will usually clear it up within a week or two. The damaged scales will mostly remain.

If it's already systemic, and that is, internal infection in the blood, your snake needs a vet and antibiotics to have any chance of surviving it. That doesn't look like it's fungal to me. It's more likely a bacterial infection and it looks like it went quite deep but also has healed some. It looks to me as if it were a case of blister disease more than scale rot. If conditions are too damp/dirty, little non-septic pockets of fluid form under the skin. If it goes on too long, the fluid gets infected with bacteria which then can spread to the blood.

This is 100% preventable and is caused by bad husbandry. You must keep garters bedding dry and clean.

I really think if your snake is lethargic and not eating, he probably is fighting an internal infection in the blood and needs antibiotics. Even then, it may or may not be too late for that.

It looks like the pockets of fluid have already drained and that's a good thing. Good luck. I hope he makes it.

Good luck with your snake.

Powodzenia (hope this is the correct verbage)
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Thank you for your posts, they really help me!

The one thing I can do now is raising the temperature. The snake started to react when I open the box and because of that I have good thoughts. Tomorrow I will have antybiotics and I hope it won't be too late...

I know that they can't have humid inviroment, and since I have this snake he is on the paper towels with little water in the bowl, I am being really careful not to raise humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    Good luck with your snake.

Powodzenia (hope this is the correct verbage)
    yes, that's correct!

Thank you for your support. This snake is really nice and it would be a shame to lose him.

1.0 Thamnophis marcianus
    1.0 Canis familiaris