Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Traveling stress?

I'm leaving to VA in a few days (not sure, may be in a week) FOR 10 DAYS... that's kinda long to leave 2 babies...

I'd like to bring them, but people are saying the 4 hour trip would be too stressful...

What would be better? Take or leave??

Re: Traveling stress?

I'd take them.
    They may need a day to settle in but that's better than going a week without food.
    4 hours on the road isn't that big a deal.
    Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

That's what i thought .. everybody else said a week is nothin', and it would be too much stress.. thanks.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I'd take them if you can't find anyone to feed them. If the atmosphere in the car isn't insanely loud or anything it shouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming they've undergone transportation stress before to get to your house, when they were even younger, right?

Haha, I travel quite a bit with my frog. His tank is so small that I just buckle the whole thing into the front seat of my car. I don't think he even knows anything is going on.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

If you put a towel over the tank it'll be dark and less scary for them, I can imagine. 10 days is more than 7, and in my opinion, a few days longer can be more stressful for a snake. My baby Specks, who prefers worms, pretty much lets me know that he's hungry again a day or two after feeding... He likes to bite quite a lot. He's a sweet natured baby, but if he's hungry he doesn't care
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

How should i take them? In the cage? There would be stuff bouncing around...

In separate container?

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    I'd take them if you can't find anyone to feed them. If the atmosphere in the car isn't insanely loud or anything it shouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming they've undergone transportation stress before to get to your house, when they were even younger, right?
    Not unless you mean the 10min car trip from Scotts place to mine

Why would it matter if it was loud?

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Haha, I travel quite a bit with my frog. His tank is so small that I just buckle the whole thing into the front seat of my car. I don't think he even knows anything is going on.
    Haha i love those guys. I gotta get one!

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    If you put a towel over the tank it'll be dark and less scary for them, I can imagine. 10 days is more than 7, and in my opinion, a few days longer can be more stressful for a snake. My baby Specks, who prefers worms, pretty much lets me know that he's hungry again a day or two after feeding... He likes to bite quite a lot. He's a sweet natured baby, but if he's hungry he doesn't care
    My flame is like that, even if he's not hungry. He's sweet and calm, but if you lift his hide, he's likely to greet you with a copperhead impression

I'd take them in a separate container, with the water dish taken out and nothing that could potentially crush them. You can take a small dish to put in with them while the car is stopped so they don't get dehydrated.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post

Why would it matter if it was loud?
    lol I guess that was kind of unclear I was thinking like music and stuff or just a really busy atmosphere in the car. My snake reacts to bass beats kind of like he would react to heavy footsteps or something falling down beside his cage. They freak him out.

Also, I was half asleep when I wrote that and the fact that snakes can't hear was hidden somewhere in the back of my mind
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Gotcha, i was hoping i wasn't going to have to inform you that, snakes don't have ears 'cause i was pretty sure you knew that

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    I'd take them in a separate container, with the water dish taken out and nothing that could potentially crush them. You can take a small dish to put in with them while the car is stopped so they don't get dehydrated.
    I'm don't get it... you say "in a sep container"... but you say "with the bowl taken out". Are you saying there should be stuff in there?

Well, you could have a soft hide in there, like a wash cloth. Some people will decorate their separate containers a bit and it would be less stressful if they had something to hide in when they are scared. But, a wash cloth or two would lessen the risk of crushing them than, say, a piece of wood. I don't think fake plants would hurt if you wanted to put something in there.

They also need water, but it's a bad idea to leave one in there if it'll be bouncing around. I guess, too, it depends on how long they'll be in the car. If it's only a couple hours, I think they should be okay with nothing. It's really hard to give a straight answer because everything depends on the snake and other circumstances.
    Chantel