Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

A friend's snake pic.

A friend of mine sent me this pic of a snake living in her garden. I told her that it looks to me like an Eastern Garter. What do you guys think?

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

Re: A friend's snake pic.

Looks like an eastern. What state?
    Randy

Northwestern Mississippi.

Some of her friends are urging her to kill it. Others to leave it alone. I've assured her it is harmless, and have offered to remove it if she has a problem with it
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Yeah, do that, don't let her kill it.

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

Odds are Its an eastern. Its definitely harmless and shouldn't be killed.
    Randy

Not to worry. She seems resigned to leave it alone for now, and if it does trouble her, I think she'll give me a call before taking drastic measures.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RdubSnider View Post
    Looks like an eastern.
    No, didn't you read? It's a garden snake.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    Not to worry. She seems resigned to leave it alone for now, and if it does trouble her, I think she'll give me a call before taking drastic measures.

Haha, now I'm trying to figure out how a garter snake could 'trouble' someone...
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Third shed, A Success"

Well, in Poland some ppl that own little pond with fish in their garden, tend to hate Natrix natrix, because they're more than happy to eat them (fish, not owners). In Poland any reptile is under protection though and only really ******** folks do actually kill them. Not to mention really, really sick ppl that fear every snake and kill it on sight (you know, EVERY snake is venomous).
    I imagine, that same thing applies to garters and ribbons in USA and Canada.

And just a thought... Do you think, that Natrix natrix can breed with T. sauritus (easter ribbon)? Yeah, I know Natrix natrix lays eggs, but I heard that nature WILL find a way.

Banned

Nature does have a way. Parthenogenesis in egg laying reptiles in the absence of a male of the species. If this cross you speak of did happen, there are complicating factors. Such as, are you talking about a male ribbon and a female natrix, or visa/versa? Think about it. One of the females retains eggs without a leathery shell, the other lays them and they do have a leathery shell. The question is, would these differences allow the embryos to develop properly at all?

I suppose it's possible for a ribbon hybrid to develop inside an egg laid by a female natrix, but what about the other way around?