Pinkies are smaller than I thought!

ok...

I'm still in mourning for my lil one that just lost it's life probably due to the minnows I was feeding her. sigh... I'll have to live with that...

So... pinkies from now on... and I was really surprised at how small they are! One pinkie is like the size of a minnow... and I just paid $5 for 3 of them!

So... I'm guessing I'm being a schmuck and I just don't know the best way...

1. Should I be getting larger pinkies than that.
    2. Where should I buy them so they are significantly cheaper... I feel like my snake could easily eat all three (or even more). If the price I paid is the price they really cost then so be it... but I have to ask.

Thanks all.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Re: Pinkies are smaller than I thought!

Pinkies are just plain small. If you feel like your snake will take a larger mouse, you might want to try Fuzzies or something like that. To me, it would depend on how much value I'm getting for my buck. Little Dude can easily take a fuzzy - she's eaten huge toads before - but she generally doesn't like frozen-thawed food (although she did not long ago gobble up almost an entire filet of tilapia). But Little Dude is almost 3 feet long now. Scarlett - who is barely 20 inches - probably wouldn't tackle a fuzzy.

In the end, it's up to you. Snakes can eat foods bigger than their heads, so really it's a matter of whether you think they will, or whether you think they should.

I've paid as much as $12 for 5 frozen fuzzies (and every one of them went to waste). Someone might be able to point you to suppliers where you can get huge bulk, but keep in mind shipping costs and storage.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

I will suggest www.micedirect.com

I have been dealing with them and find their prices to be some of the lowest.
    The problems is the shipping. Buying 500 pinkies will have the same shipping cost as 5000.

They have a shipping estimator on their website. They are based out of Clevlaand, GA.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I reccommend www.americanrodent.com We have pinkies for $.19 each, and offer free shipping on orders of $100 or more!! Best deal in the business!!!

Thanks for the advice...

Question for people who keep them frozen... Do they last indefinitely in the freezer?

They can last a long time as long as you keep the air out of the baggies. They can get freezer burnt if you dont take care of them properly. I, personally, wouldn't feed freezer burnt food to the snakes.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lauwersp View Post
    Thanks for the advice...

Question for people who keep them frozen... Do they last indefinitely in the freezer?
    As long as they don't freezer burn. You can tell when they do. The color changes. Best way to prevent freezer burn is to vacuum seal them. I use a foodsaver to do that.