Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Thermometers and Heating Element questions

Okay buying the last few things for the new cage. What types of thermometers should I get? Enclosure is 36x14x18...here is the plan for heating:

Warm side 18" ReptiSun, under tank heating pad with rheostat and an overhead regular light bulb for basking heat.

What types of thermometers for the air and basking temp? I am ordering some of these to monitor the bottom of the tank, can I use another one and run the wire to the basking spot or is something else better?

MODS -- please move this to enclosures! I posted under the wrong section so sorry!
    Last edited by Sonya610; 04-19-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Re: Thermometers and Heating Element questions

You probably don't need both under and over heating. I use all under heating for my enclosure. Flex watt on a rheostat.
    This is just what works for me.
    Snakes seem content.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    You probably don't need both under and over heating. I use all under heating for my enclosure. Flex watt on a rheostat.
    This is just what works for me.
    Snakes seem content.
    For these garters I will probably use only overhead during the summer months, and both during the cold winter months (unless they need cooler temps for health/psychological reasons, i won't be breeding).

I am sure they do just fine with just undertank, but with the temps here being 75-85 for the next 6 months I can probably just use overhead.
    Since I can easily do it either way might as well mimic nature so they can get cooler in their dark little hidey holes and bask in "the sun" when they want more heat.

Just wondering if those temp probe thermometers are good for measuring basking temps.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I think it's your choice as to which one you pick, but you don't need both. I just use a good heat lamp, but a heating pad works too. You just need a good overall temperature of 65-80 degrees (room temperature, really), and a basking area (one side of the tank) of 85-90 degrees. I think a heat lamp is more natural and is a good basking spot. The heat from the lamp, if it's a good lamp, will effect the tanks temperature too. A good heat lamp is all you really need.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    I think it's your choice as to which one you pick, but you don't need both. I just use a good heat lamp, but a heating pad works too. You just need a good overall temperature of 65-80 degrees (room temperature, really), and a basking area (one side of the tank) of 85-90 degrees. I think a heat lamp is more natural and is a good basking spot. The heat from the lamp, if it's a good lamp, will effect the tanks temperature too. A good heat lamp is all you really need.
    Okay thanks. Yeah I already have a basking lamp that is not being used. Bought the heating pads which can server undertank in the winter (my house does not have central heating so I can't keep it at a steady 70 or so all night in the winter, guess I am also used to Ball Python husbandry which says no part of the enclosure should get below 80 whereas Garters are a lot more flexible and won't get sick or stressed as easily if exposed to a wider variety of temps).

Back to my original question...I hope those little digital thermometers with the probes are okay for basking heat cause I just ordered some! They are great for ground temps but was not sure if tasking heat with the lamps needed something different.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Garters are a lot more flexible and won't get sick or stressed as easily if exposed to a wider variety of temps).
    All of that is true, but you DON"T want to have the whole cage at 80. They need a cool side (not cold) and a warm side (not hot), AKA basking area.

My house doesn't have central heating, either. I use just a 50 watt basking lamp during the day and a 25 watt heat(no light) at night. I keep my heater on over night, it shuts off at 75 and turns on when it gets lower than 65. It's just a regular heater, nothing fancy installed to it.

I keep a regular outside thermometer in my room to make sure my room is warm or cool enough, and from what I know, my 50 watt basking lamps keep the warm side 10 degrees (f) hotter in my 20 gallon tank and 15 degrees hotter in my 15 gallon.
    I stuck the thermometer in the tank near the bottom for 30 minutes to get the temperature in the tank. It's always10-15 degrees warmer than the rooms temperature.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    All of that is true, but you DON"T want to have the whole cage at 80. They need a cool side (not cold) and a warm side (not hot), AKA basking area.
    I won't artificially keep the whole tank that warm BUT the summer temps are naturally hot here, so yeah even with supplmental heat turned off (just the reptisun on) it will still be 80 degrees often during the summer. AC runs but doesn't keep it a frosty 70 degrees or anything.

They can tolerate that right? Natural heat in the 80ish range, or do I have a problem?

Edit just reread your post Redsided...so 65 to 80 is a good "cool side temp". Missed that the first time when you said don't heat the whole tank to 80+.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 04-19-2011 at 04:44 PM.

They should be fine. I don't have an AC and I just keep the basking lamps off and keep the night time lamps on. It's gotten up to 100 degrees in the house, when that happens I put some ice cubes in their water and they like to wrap themselves around them.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    They should be fine. I don't have an AC and I just keep the basking lamps off and keep the night time lamps on. It's gotten up to 100 degrees in the house, when that happens I put some ice cubes in their water and they like to wrap themselves around them.
    Thanks! I do have window unit AC but do not leave it running all night unless it is freaky hot (i.e high 90's, which has never happened). Once again it is a simple "turn it on/off" type of unit so the beasts and I tolerate some temp swings within reason.

kibakiba you might want to look into homemade "swamp coolers" if you rarely get hot temps and can't or do not want to get an AC. Just requires a fan, a towel, and water/ice water. Will cool your snakes and your whole room several degrees in a pinch: How to make a cheap swamp cooler - by Rex Trulove - Helium