Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Seperate feeding container?

I've read that when you feed a snake you should feed him somewhere out of the tank, (even if it's the bath tub) for a number of reasons.
    At first I thought it was because you don't want him biting you every time you put your hand in thinking your food. I wasn't worried about that (even if he did bite me), so I didn't bother. I just put his fish in his water bowl, and and the worms wherever was convenient.

But now I'm thinking about getting a second snake, and it seems like it might be easier to feed two snakes if I'm feeding them separately.

My biggest concern is:
    My snake, ever since I caught him, has been jumpy and gets kind of stressed when I take him out of his cage. I worked to the point where he is okay with me picking him up, and he'll eat put of my hand. He is no longer scared of me, but probably wouldn't eat if I had just picked him up and put him somewhere else.

I know it's not necessary, but would that be the best option? And if so, how can I get him to eat like that?

Juvenile snake

Re: Seperate feeding container?

If your main concern is separating the two snakes, maybe you just move the other one to the feeding tank and leave that one it its normal tank? That of course assumes that the second snake would be calmer than the one you currently have.

I have a few that won't eat if I move them first.

So it's okay to feed one in the tank and the other somewhere else?

Another concern (not a big concern) is the substrate that gets stuck on his food. Mostly his worms. I'm using a bedding that's supposedly safe (a mix of bark, coconut, and sand... something like that) , but it's still probably not the best thing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    So it's okay to feed one in the tank and the other somewhere else?

Another concern (not a big concern) is the substrate that gets stuck on his food. Mostly his worms. I'm using a bedding that's supposedly safe (a mix of bark, coconut, and sand... something like that) , but it's still probably not the best thing for him.
    Many substrates can cause a blockage. If what you are using has sand in it I wouldn't feed in that enclosure.
    I sometimes have troubled eaters that refuse to eat if taken out of their home. They get put in a container with the food.
    Then I cover it with a towel or something. Left alone with the food and no other distraction most will eat.
    After awhile they get used to the routine.
    Best of luck.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I use "jungle bed" and stuff like it (not the same thing every time). I was buying the bedding I had been using before when I saw this. It was pretty much the same thing, but it said it was good for anoles, frogs, garter snakes. I didn't trust them to really know what their talking about, but I thought "heck, I'll just get this". It was pretty much the same thing I had been getting.
    Petsmart.com - Reptile: Substrate & Bedding: T-Rex® Jungle Bed® Premium Blend Forest Substrate

It contains: Forest Bed, Coconut Bark and Calci-Sand.

Is sand bad for them? I never knew that... I just knew Aspen wasn't safe. I assumed most bedding shouldn't be ingested, but I can't help that very much, so I just get the safest stuff I can find... I guess I was wrong.

What do you use/recommend?

I'll try the towel thing. I haven't really tried to get him to eat anywhere else, but I will just to see how willing he is after a few times.

Aspen is fine. I used to use aspen for my snakes. They loved it. Only downsides are it sticks to food easily, molds quickly and is really expensive (at least where I go... 15 dollars a gallon)

I've always stayed away from sand, it can cause problems, especially if it gets on food. Carefresh is cream and comes in many colours, keeps odor down, and they make tunnels in it and they stay there. It's good stuff.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

I don't seem to have much of a problem feeding most of my snakes off of hemostats, right in their tank. I just keep the pieces small enough so that they don't go dragging it though substrate. Seems to work out just fine for me.

Same here, only larger thing is pinkies... Those get dragged, smacked against things and all of that but they don't pick up substrate like sticky worms do.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I read somewhere that aspen can kill garters if they swallow it, so I stopped.

Worms are the only food-on-substrate problem. They get alot of substrate on them sometimes.

Carefresh.... I just don't like it..