Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I think something is wrong with my garter :( PLEASE HELP.

Hey guys, I've been a member of the forum for a while, but usually don't post much, I just browse when I have free time.

Recently one of my garters, Silent Bob, hasn't been eating as much. I didn't think much of it because he was active still and appeared healthy. Just the other day I notice something that looks wrong.

When you look at the underside of his mouth you see these gaps on either side where the mouth doesn't seal properly, right below each eye.

Also the upper labial right below the eye looks puffed out. It has changed his facial appearance and I am really concerned Silent Bob is in pain and getting worse.

I don't know of any good snake vets in my area, and really don't have a lot of money to be going to the vet unless it is an absolute must.

Please help me identify and learn to treat his condition if I can.

Thanks very much guys, I care for my snakes dearly, and can't stand for him to suffer.

Re: I think something is wrong with my garter :( PLEASE HELP.

can you take a look inside his mouth?
    you can gently pry it open with something like a credit card
    from the description it does sound like something that will require treatment by a a vet with access to pharmaceuticals
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Banned

I've seen and dealt with this many times. In my case it was caused by food fights where babies had bitten each other in the mouth area causing injury. The wound then gets infected and swells, and that causes the gaps. Then stuff gets in there and makes it worse. If it's treated very early, swabbing with a solution of chlorhexidine and a tad bit of antibiotic ointment put in the gaps along with keeping them on clean paper towels can heal it up completely.

However, it sounds like this is pretty advanced already. It may require a vet to treat this along with antibiotic injections if it has gotten this serious. Also, a similar condition caused by "mouth rot" may be to blame rather than a simple injury.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Sounds like a mouth infection so Make sure to keep the snake warm and clean. Keep the water bowl clean and keep his mouth clean.It could very well be snake mites also. I seen one case where mites got under the scales at the mouth and raised the scales out so it did not close properly. I've also seen mites get in the eye cavities and make the eye puff out so you need to inspect the snake for mites. You should start by looking under his chin for little black dots in the crevices of his scales. Let us know what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Sounds like a mouth infection so Make sure to keep the snake warm and clean. Keep the water bowl clean and keep his mouth clean.It could very well be snake mites also. I seen one case where mites got under the scales at the mouth and raised the scales out so it did not close properly. I've also seen mites get in the eye cavities and make the eye puff out so you need to inspect the snake for mites. You should start by looking under his chin for little black dots in the crevices of his scales. Let us know what you come up with.
    Good advise of the mites check.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks, you never know what kind of trouble those little parasites can cause.

Banned

Upon close inspection it should be obvious. You can usually see them moving. Just don't want you to panic if you see some dust particles. I hadn't thought of that because it's been nearly 20 years since I've seen snakes with mites,(it was at petco and was reeeeely bad) let alone a case where it lifted scales.

If it turns out to be mites they are fairly simple to get rid of if you only have a few snakes. If no mites are on the snake then it is probably mouth rot or some sort of infection in the mouth. In this case you need to keep the snake warm and i would use paper towels for the substrate and change daily make sure you clean his water bowl daily and clean his mouth. I've had great results rehabbing snakes with this by mixing peroxide and water 50/50 and swabbing the infected area.

Banned

Use chlorhexidine. It's more effective even against actual mouth rot, (Ulcerative Stomatitis) has longer lasting antimicrobial effect and it doesn't damage healthy tissue like peroxide does. Besides that, it's what's vets use for situations like this. The thing is, if the problem goes too deep into the tissues, antibiotics will be needed.

One things for sure, if you nothing, prognosis isn't good. If he's not a rare species or morph, you might want to weigh in your mind if you want to continue and try to treat him through more suffering, or if you want to humanely end it. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Banned

I found this for you. I really think your best bet is a vet or euthenasia. Otherwise, more unnecessary suffering will likely occur. From the web:

"Stomatitis-Mouthrot

Mouth rot is the common name for stomatitis. It is a bacterial infection which settles into the gum tissue, palate or tongue.

If left untreated, it can invade the jaw bone; advanced cases may require resectioning of the bone or tissue. One important fact often overlooked by pet owners is that mouthrot is not a disease itself - it is a secondary infection triggered by a systemic infection.

Stomatitis presents as yellowish-whitish plaques, or irregular blotches on the gums. If poked, it is somewhat soft, rather like curds. In fact, iguana pus is referred to as caseous as it rather curdish or cheesy in nature, rather than what is produced by mammalian abscesses.

Treatment is not something to be attempted by a child; many adults are too squeamish to try it themselves. A vet can show you how to work on it ... you should see a vet anyway. Systemic antibiotics are often indicated, and it may be quite painful and traumatic to dig out a plaque, requiring that the reptile be anesthetized and the work be done under sterile conditions."