Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed"

Thumbs up can you help I.d the ribbon please :)

this is a ribbon i acquired when i went to pick up 2 checkered garters
    with stubbing tails
    stubby tail

ribbon <3
    all i was told is that he is a male and theyve been eating live guppies so i really hope they will get on to eating pinkies , trout ,samon, lobworms *fingers crossed*

thankyou!

Banned

Re: can you help I.d the ribbon please :)

Thamnophis proximus orarius. Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake. Common in the coastal areas of Texas. I occasionally find them for sale in pet stores in Washington and Oregon.

Adult male and looks a good match for my Panama ... definitely western ... I would say proximus orarious too. Probably from a Fauna import and advertised as sauritus in the shops most likely.
    Could you get me a clearer shot mid-body? As close as poss.

P.S. stubby tails shouldn't cause a problem (it can impede males during mating though). It does mean that the previous owners weren't vigilant enough at shedding times.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Another thing .... more than likely originally WC and you may want to do a fecal screen just for piece of mind
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    Another thing .... more than likely originally WC and you may want to do a fecal screen just for piece of mind
    :O
    ooo noo ok
    yes he is a male !

Adult male and looks a good match for my Panama ... definitely western ... I would say proximus orarious too. Probably from a Fauna import and advertised as sauritus in the shops most likely.
    Could you get me a clearer shot mid-body? As close as poss.

P.S. stubby tails shouldn't cause a problem (it can impede males during mating though). It does mean that the previous owners weren't vigilant enough at shedding times.
    i cant seem to get the right setting for his blue-ness its either to dull or to bright lol

iv cropped them down dont know if thats any better for you?
    lol i might let you borrow him ;]

Banned

Good idea. I tell you what though, around where I live, there's not much need to go through that expense even if there was a vet that would see our garters. (there isn't) It's all but guaranteed the snakes have worms. It goes with their diet of amphibians and fish. In most it doesn't cause any issues but at worst, tape worms especially, do cause problems.

A lot of us around here just dose them anyway, (no vet visit) with Pancur and/or Praziquantel (being cautious not to overdose) if they're wild-caught. They nearly always pass worms when we do.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Good idea. I tell you what though, around where I live, there's not much need to go through that expense even if there was a vet that would see our garters. (there isn't) It's all but guaranteed the snakes have worms. It goes with their diet of amphibians and fish. In most it doesn't cause any issues but at worst, tape worms especially, do cause problems.

A lot of us around here just dose them anyway (being cautious not to overdose) if they're wild-caught. They nearly always pass worms when we do.
    its been fed on live guppies all the time so im slightly apprehensive about how hes going to feed , my garters have pinkies-fluffs trout and samon , nothing ever alive ( sometimes lobworms ) so i hope itl be a easy transition i doubt it will though lol

Banned

Well, the live fish is a good source of parasites but if you feed them trout and salmon (some of us even feed WC amphibians) be sure that it is frozen at 0 degrees or colder prior to thawing and feeding it to your snakes. That takes care of the worm risk.

A lot of these WC ribbons come with parasites and also won't eat anything but live fish. Like I said, in most cases if they are eating well and otherwise seem healthy, they can live with a moderate parasite load with no apparent harm.

do you think it will take to trout /samon or even pinkies though after its been eating live fish ? lol cause it wont be eating live fish at my house