Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Exclamation Checkered Garter snake 4 week hunger strike?!?!

I have a baby captive bred Checkered Garter Snake. It's literally hatchling size, and has never really eaten well. It has been on a hunger strike for the last 4 weeks, which I understand to be very dangerous for neonate Garters, which obviously have a very fast metabolism. He tong feeds out of the enclosure with worm chunks which are one or two segments of the worm. My friend came and tong fed my garter and it ate, but it doesn't usually eat well. I tried assist feeding and putting the animal in a Tupperware container with the worm chunks and nothing. Obviously i am both worried. my friend told me to turn the heat off so its metabolism slows down and it doesn't metabolize its muscles and fat reserves.
    Info:
    I got it at bigappleherps.com on october 29th, 2010
    today is 1/10/11
    It was 6 inches long when i got it, and is now 7 inches (it ate well the first 3 weeks)
    I am going to attempt to feed it guppies. If that fails than mosquitofish, if that fails than fish filet (talapia), if that doesn't work vet.
    If you have any suggestions, or think one of my suggestions will work or not, tell me!!
    THANK YOU!!
    - pg

Re: Checkered Garter snake 4 week hunger strike?!?!

The guppies might just go the trick. Offer them in a small round container(Zip-lock, screw top works great) Use just enough water so the fish are flopping/swimming. Guppies can turn non-eaters into eaters in a hurry. Drop a few work chunks in with the guppies. If he/she misses a guppy, maybe they'll grab a worm piece.
    Best of luck.
    Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum.

P.S I wouldn't turn the heat down as long as you are actively trying to feed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I agree with Steve. Keep it warm, offer moving food and keep trying.
    Babies usually don't go off food in the first year, so we need to keep offering. Guppies are your best bet. Nightcrawlers (cut up) from Walmart may be another suggestion. Salmon from the fish dept. of your grocery store is another good try and silversides from the pet store may be in order. Good luck & please keep us posted!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"Third shed, A Success" HazAnga's Avatar

I agree with both Steve and Le Ann, deff give the guppies a try
    Call me Nick
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Bo)
    http://forestcitycorns.webs.com/

Hi, I'm New Here!

Than kyou to all!! She ate the "guppies" with much gusto. unfortunately, i think the guy at the petstore did not give me guppies, but instead gave me mosquitofish. i tong fed them, a suggestion from my friend. But i like your idea, Guidofatherof5. Having just enough water for them to flop is a great idea!! next time i will try that. My friend says i should just give her 1 adult guppie a week???

Quote Originally Posted by Penguingodzilla View Post
    Than kyou to all!! She ate the "guppies" with much gusto. unfortunately, i think the guy at the petstore did not give me guppies, but instead gave me mosquitofish. i tong fed them, a suggestion from my friend. But i like your idea, Guidofatherof5. Having just enough water for them to flop is a great idea!! next time i will try that. My friend says i should just give her 1 adult guppie a week???
    She's very young and as such should be fed as often as possible. Garters have a faster metabolism than most other snakes. At this time you should be offering food every 4 days (maybe even more often) and mixing up the diet as much as possible. You want to gaduate onto F/T fish fillet and rodent (with vit and calcium supplements) eventually.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

That's great.
    Mix in the worm chunks to start a more varied diet. Like Greg said.
    Flopping fish drive garters crazy. Most non-eaters can't resist.
    They can be so stubborn when offered other foods but they just can resist flopping fish.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Adult snake

Glad to read your baby marcy is eating! follow the information given and don't worry to much about over feeding they grow quite fast.

Hi, I'm New Here!

The guy at petland gave me minnows, not goldfish. Is this bad?? And how many guppies should i give her mixed with worms? And how often? Thanks again everybody.

Hi, I'm New Here!

The guy at petland gave me minnows, not goldfish. Is this bad?? And how many guppies should i give her mixed with worms? And how often? Thanks again everybody.
    I mean to say guppies, not goldfish.