San Francisco garter brumation?

Hi Guys

Firstly id just like to say hi, ive been browsing this lovely forum for a while now and thought its about time i sign up!

I currently keep a pair of Oregon Red Spotted and last night i received an adult pair of San Francisco garters by courier.

Im having a bit of a dilemma :s Their previous owner had gradually cooled them to 23C, since the beginning of december, but no lower as they were coming to me. They were picked up by the courier saturday day time, and didnt actually arrive until the very early hours of this morning (weds) due to the bad snow we have been having.

My plan was to cool them right down seperately to between 8-12C, and begin to warm them up at the end of February. However, they were kept seperate prior to being couriered, but sent togther in the same faunarium (i only found out last night) So they have spent a good 3/4 days together on their journey. The courier also said to me that they have been very interactive towards each other.

Im now panicking as i was planning on putting them in small RUBS until February and building a viv in the meantime. But now it is already the end of December, and they have been slightly cooled and then reintroduced.

Would the best thing to do be build the viv, warm them up again, and skip brumating them in this instance? i dont know what the chances are that they mightve *possibly* locked on their journey, and im thinking that if this is the case it would be detrimental to the health of the female?

Any previous experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated

Look forward to any comments and seeing you all around x

Re: San Francisco garter brumation?

It doesn't matter if they locked before brumation she won't become gravid immediately ..... if they were heading towards being cooled she will not use the sperm until next year.
    Brumate regardless to help her to trigger the ovulation process in Spring and do re-introduce the male again then. He may have been trying ... but she may not have been receptive

Greetings .... glad you joined.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Welcome to the forum.
    Brumating gives you plenty of time to build that viv.
    We'd love to see a photo, please.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    It doesn't matter if they locked before brumation she won't become gravid immediately ..... if they were heading towards being cooled she will not use the sperm until next year.
    Brumate regardless to help her to trigger the ovulation process in Spring and do re-introduce the male again then. He may have been trying ... but she may not have been receptive

Greetings .... glad you joined.
    Thanks Greg!

I can breathe a bit easier now. Didnt want to cause the lovely (big) girl any harm through inexperience. Sent you a nice wall of text via email a bit earlier, hope you managed to get through it all!

I will transfer them to RUBS as planned, if i can get a couple of sneaky photos during the process i will do they are called Christian and Dita. Christian was his previous name and was asked to keep it, wonder if you can guess who it is a reference to!

x

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Brumating gives you plenty of time to build that viv.
    We'd love to see a photo, please.
    Thanks

Will do, i'll try and snap a couple later, if as usual im bad at taking pics, i'll ask their previous owner if he minds if i borrow a couple of his He's a lovely guy so hopefully he wont mind!

Been very lazy today .... actually that's a partial lie. Just checking my e-mail now. Mmmm let me think of renowned 'Christians' .... WLW by any chance?
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    Been very lazy today .... actually that's a partial lie. Just checking my e-mail now. Mmmm let me think of renowned 'Christians' .... WLW by any chance?
    Yep! That was too easy then lol. The seller and him are friends, and there is some funny story behind it. Im sure i'll find out what it is soon enough though

Welcome to the forum!
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman