Thread: garter birth

garter birth

they have eggs inside right? if so what happens to the fragments of shell? or do they not have internal eggs? i know they give live birth!english class brought up this subject
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Re: garter birth

It's a soft egg. Don't think of it like a chicken egg.
    Think more like a fish egg. When born it's a thin membrane.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

The term "jellybean" refers to unfertile eggs.

They are soft and amber in colour, no shell.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Snake eggs are like leather. I found some (hatched) under a log.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    Snake eggs are like leather. I found some (hatched) under a log.
    True, but that's for Oviparous(egg laying) snakes.

Garter are Ovoviviparous(live birth).

From what I understand it is never more than a membrane as an egg.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

you understand correctly Steve.

Banned

Ever boil an egg or peel a boiled egg? You might have noticed a membrane. Sort of a "skin" Egg laying snakes have a leathery "shell" which isn't calcified so it isn't hard, but inside that, and around any egg "guts" (yolks and whites) but between the shell, is a clear membrane holding the contents inside, while still allowing gas exchange through the membrane. C'mon Robert. You should know this. It's high school level biology. You're not fishing for homework answers again, are you? Even chicken eggs are nothing more than a clear membrane and contents until they are being laid. Then the calcium goes on and hardens as it dries, after coming out. Like a final coat of cement as it's coming out.

Snake eggs do not have separate yolk and whites like bird eggs do. It's basically just a yolk. When the egg is infertile, or otherwise doesn't develop, it comes out as a "slug"

Here's a video I shot and uploaded, that clearly shows the egg produced by an Ovoviviparous garter snake. T.s. concinnus. These eggs came out with a clear, yet very flexible and hard to break membrane around them. That clear membrane is the only thing holding each baby inside their own egg while it's inside the mother. Sometimes babies are too weak, or otherwise struggle to break free of the membrane. Some babies break out before emerging from the mother. and I believe that many fully-developed stillborns are a result of the membrane breaking too early. Perhaps a few days too early. Here you can see the baby break free of the membrane. It's not unlike the membrane found around the yolk and whites of any egg. You must understand that live-bearing reptiles still have eggs. They just don't have a shell, and are held until they are fully developed. That's why reptiles are "gravid". They don't get "pregnant". Look up the definitions. In short, live bearing garter snakes are egg layers. They just wait full term before they "lay their eggs"

Last edited by ConcinusMan; 12-09-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Ever boil an egg or peel a boiled egg? You might have noticed a membrane. Sort of a "skin" Egg laying snakes have a leathery "shell" which isn't calcified so it isn't hard, but inside that, and around any egg "guts" (yolks and whites) but between the shell, is a clear membrane holding the contents inside, while still allowing gas exchange through the membrane. C'mon Robert. You should know this. It's high school level biology. You're not fishing for homework answers again, are you? Even chicken eggs are nothing more than a clear membrane and contents until they are being laid. Then the calcium goes on and hardens as it dries, after coming out. Like a final coat of cement as it's coming out.

Snake eggs do not have separate yolk and whites like bird eggs do. It's basically just a yolk. When the egg is infertile, or otherwise doesn't develop, it comes out as a "slug"

Here's a video I shot and uploaded, that clearly shows the egg produced by an Ovoviviparous garter snake. T.s. concinnus. These eggs came out with a clear, yet very flexible and hard to break membrane around them. That clear membrane is the only thing holding each baby inside their own egg while it's inside the mother. Sometimes babies are too weak, or otherwise struggle to break free of the membrane. Some babies break out before emerging from the mother. and I believe that many fully-developed stillborns are a result of the membrane breaking too early. Perhaps a few days too early. Here you can see the baby break free of the membrane. It's not unlike the membrane found around the yolk and whites of any egg. You must understand that live-bearing reptiles still have eggs. They just don't have a shell, and are held until they are fully developed. That's why reptiles are "gravid". They don't get "pregnant". Look up the definitions. In short, live bearing garter snakes are egg layers. They just wait full term before they "lay their eggs"

no im not fishing for homework answers...thats on the shhshhhh its so quiet thread(still need help on.) i learned about membrains in middle school. look at the homework i posted in the so quiet thread. THATS ap highschool/college biology!

thank yall so much i can now better explain how rattle snakes arent the only live bearers thanks! very informative
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "