I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Caging suggestions?

I'm going out to shopping for cage accessories later today or tomorrow, and would like some suggestions on what his cage could use.

It is a 20 gal tank with heat, a basking rock, those viney things(he loves 'em) in the back, a decent sized water bowl (planning on getting bigger one), and his beloved tree thing. The tree is by far is his favorite thing in there. if you take it out he freaks out. He hides, sleeps, and just hangs out in there most of the time. Plus he found this fault in the design where he can squeeze up in the branch part and completly hidden.

Re: Caging suggestions?

you have the necessities already covered.

the snakes needs are met, so pick up some food items or just save your money

Alright, thanks man. I'll just get a couple of the things I had in mind

I agree, it's easy to waste your savings on crap neither the snake nor you need. Fake rock water bowls, fake rock food bowls, fake rock hides, hides made to look like hollow logs, cork bark, mangrove roots, plastic plants, vines etc. from Exo Terra and other companies... All intended to squeeze money out of people who haven't realized (or just want to be trendy) that all these items can all be replaced with materials you find for free in the woods or along shores, or in your nearest Wal-Mart for a fraction of the cost.

Banned

What Stefan said. Still, I have some of the items he mentioned in this 20 gallon. I just didn't pay much for them. Looking at your tank, it's a bit bare but I wouldn't go out and pay retail for a bunch of stuff to fill it with. I paid probably less than $20 to "accessorize" or "decorate" this 20 gallon, which has several small "caves" mopani wood, dollar store plants, natural substrate, (fir bark and coconut fiber) and dried moss. The snakes are definitely more comfortable with this setup with all the cover.

Actually, there was one more plant, a dense vine-like plant that ran along the back and around the left rear corner a bit. I took it out yesterday to clean out all the shed skins that were tangled up in it.

They would freak if it was as bare as your setup but don't go out and pay a ridiculous price for new stuff. Find a dollar store or craft store. Pay perhaps 3 or 4 dollars for a few more plants and perhaps some "floral moss" and add a few cardboard tubes or other free or cheap hides. A little more cover is all that is needed IMHO. There's only 4 things to lift out to bring this setup down to substrate.

Just make sure if you use basking lamps or heat from abouve, to leave a bare area with no way for them to get to close, and don't let the light get close to plants. I have mine beaming down on that "rock" to the left, which also serves as a cave. That stuff I bought used through craigslist and I disinfected them. Otherwise it would have cost quite a bit more. Still, you can do a lot with stuff you can get for free or for just a buck or two. I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for just such items. That way when I see something nice, I can get it before there's a need to decorate another tank.

I guess the whole point is, just because you can afford to pay $50 or more to accessorize a tank, doesn't mean you should, or that you have to. You can make a tank just as nice as far as the snakes are concerned, for a fraction of that.

I had NO intention of paying 50 bucks on crap. I went out tuesday and spent $5 on another smaller plant similar to the one in the left, but different leaves. A little bamboo tunnel that I covered with plant and aspen(looks very natural and he loves it). Just more greenery and a tunnel for $5, but makes the tank. Plus it's more dense and he's more comfortable out of hide. It's alot like your's now ConconniusMan!

Banned

I'm sure he'll love it.