Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Albino Garter snake FOUND IN NW OREGON!

I'm not quite sure as I cannot verify from the pictures but a kid found an albino snake in Oregon which they say is a garter snake. I gave the person a call and said IF it is a native garter snake (it would be a northwestern or concinnus) it would be the only one known to exist at this time and worth a lot of money. I told them I was a breeder and I could use it to continue the albino line. I hope they call me back!

Here's the pictures posted on craigslist:

pics hotlinked for now. I will save them to my PC before the ad disappears.

Re: Albino Garter snake FOUND IN NW OREGON!

WOW! Looks like a North Western... GOOD LUCK! Hopefully when you visually sex it you will have a mate for it
    Nolan
    0.4.T.sirtalis.sirtalis(cb)
    0.1.T.sirtalis.sirtalis(wc)
    Wants:Any Color Morph of the Thamnophis s.s.,And maybe a Radix

I'm not totally convinced its a garter.

Banned

It is. Just talked to the guy. I'm going to get to see it in person. He says it's already eating worms. He described the skin as basically pinkish, pink eyes, a single yellow unbroken stripe down the middle of it's back. He took it to a "pet store" and they said it's definitely an albino garter snake. Sounds like a Northwestern. He's bringing it to me Thursday evening.

He found it way out in the countryside near a river. Nowhere near people.

Can't wait to see it. He says he won't let anyone talk him out of it (somebody offered him $40 and he laughed at them) and I'll get to see it soon.

So excited!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

I bet he would be very surprised how much money he could get for it, if it is indeed an albino northwestern, he might be better off to take the money and run. I would give a pretty penny, and whatever I would give Scott would give $100 more, lol, and in the end it wouldn't matter because someone else out there might likely pay even more, lol. We already played that game a couple times this summer. Everyone has their price break point.

Banned

Oh I know, and I told him it was probably worth hundreds and that I probably couldn't afford it. I'm not playing any bull crap games with the guy. I just want to see it get into the hands of a good breeder, even if it's not me, so the bloodline can be preserved and of course, perhaps I could earn some favor in the process?

He's totally open to selling it. I told him I could get him in contact with people that would offer him the maximum possible dollar amount. He said "great!, see you thursday"

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

When you go see it Richard you should see if you can get better pics.

-Thomas

gee.....got a breeding group of northwesterns here...including an anery one.

Im new here but i am from oregon and went to college for law enforcement, in the state of oregon you CAN NOT SELL, KEEP any native reptiles.

Banned

OK, I just got off the phone with the guy. Somebody offered him $2,000 and then didn't leave any way to contact him. Duh.

Somebody else that says he knows me (probably somebody here) played some kind of game on him and told him it's illegal to keep it and a bunch of other crap was said... well, that's not true. It's perfectly legal to keep native snakes in Oregon provided that they are a morph that is different than the native snakes in the area. For example, you can have albino king snakes or other morphs even if there are normal kings living in the area. Sure didn't take long for the idiots and bullshippers to start calling him. He'll be deleting his post soon.

One very interesting aspect to this, is that this snake was found very close to where my red stripe NW girl, and my blue anery concinnus were found!

Anyway, I'll be getting very nice pics posted and accurate measurement soon. Probably thursday or friday. He's agreed to let me arrange a "bidding war" and I think I'll do that right here. He also agreed for doing this, I can get 10 or 15 percent of the sale so back off, the rest of you, whoever you are, talking this trash to him.

Main thing is, I want this snake to get in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, and preserve that albino gene! Wouldn't want it to die or get lost before having offspring! It is just a baby but apparently he's had it for 3 or 4 weeks and it is eating well and growing.

I'll keep you updated and post those pics soon. If it's OK with the mods/admins, I'd like to start a thread and have the bidding war here. I am undecided yet as to whether or not it should be a "silent" auction by email, or if it should be known to a bidder, how much the latest bid is for.

Any thoughts on this?