Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Subadult snake

This Mite Kill Me!!

Straight to the point....I have mites, well my snakes do. I am not sure how I got them unless it was from handling a wild snake and the mites got onto my clothing?

Regardless I want them GONE, and I know this isn't easy. So far I have removed all hides, dumped most and the wooden ones are outside waiting to meet my bbq. All the substrate has been removed and they now just have paper substrate. I cleaned the enclosures with very hot water, too hot to touch, and Mr. Clean and dried with a clean rag before adding the new paper substrate and the polished water boil. I soaked all the snakes in a warm bath for several minutes and then held them under the tap, before drying them with another clean dry cloth.

I did this with 3 out of my 5 enclosures and I plan to do the other 2 tomorrow as it is late here.

Ok questions:

1. What next? How do I get rid of these things?
    2. I have carpet floor in my snake room, big issue?
    3. Will these mites affect all species of snake?
    4. I also have birds, will these mites affect them or are they strictly reptile mites?

On top of all this my snake, which I though was too small to give birth, gave birth to 5 very tiny babies today...

Please reply asap, Ill keep you up to date as best I can between work and everything else I have going on.

Thank You!

Re: This Mite Kill Me!!

1. Use a commercially available Mite killer, another excellent method is to dilute "Nix" (Human lice treatment) and apply it to the snakes.

2. I have carpet in my snake room, and it has not promoted the spread of mites at all that I can see, But I vacuum my snake room more than any other room in the house.

3. Mites are not species specific anymore than fleas are to dogs or cats. A host is a host, a blood meal is a blood meal.

4. Not sure about the birds, Just keep them from coming into contact with your snakes, always wash your hands with soap when handling one then the other just to be safe.

Cleaning the enclosures and then putting infested snakes back in defeats the whole purpose, you have to treat both together at the same time, otherwise the enclosure will re-infest the snakes, the snakes will re-infest the enclosure.

You don't have to discard your hides and bowls, soak them in bleach and hot water, then wash them off.

i forgot which episode but goto youtube and look at the snakebytes episodes (specificly the ones with product reviews) and they showed a good mite killing spray that works quick!
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Provent-A-Mite Pro-Products | Provent-a-Mite

I use this stuff and if is quick, easy and effective. My snakes have shown no ill-effects to it. It is dangerous when not used properly. It kills mite and continues to do so for up to 4 months. It kills mites and their eggs.
    I have a partial can I would be happy to send you. PM me if interested.

Congrats on the babies.
    Mites can easily kill babies. Watch them closer than the others.
    Give you snakes a warm bath. Put 1 drop of liquid soap in their bath water. This will prevent any mites from floating on top. They will sink and die.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Provent-A-Mite Pro-Products | Provent-a-Mite

I use this stuff and if is quick, easy and effective. My snakes have shown no ill-effects to it. It is dangerous when not used properly. It kills mite and continues to do so for up to 4 months. It kills mites and their eggs.
    I have a partial can I would be happy to send you. PM me if interested.
    This stuff is awesome, kills on contact! great advice Steve.

Here's a link to read up on this nasty invaders. Getting rid of reptile mites
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Subadult snake

I only put my snakes back into their enclosures because I had no where else to put them. The enclosures now have very simple substrate and only 1 hide so it will be much easier to clean. I don't mind getting rid of a few hides as I make my own from bark (baked of course)

Steve I may have to take you up on that offer lol too bad you aren't closer so I could get it faster.

You let me know tonight(name and address) and I'll get it out in the mail tomorrow.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

i think thats what they might have been using at bhb reptiles...steve's the man with the plan (and materials)
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Uuuuggghh! Bugs, hate em!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."