Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: website

website

some of you know that I enjoy bringing my reptiles to science classrooms, and that I've brought them to kids birthday parties
    so we're creating a web-site for that side-line of my reptile passion
    it's still in process, and google doesn't know about it, but you can take a look and please give feedback
    Reptile School
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Re: website

The Google spiders will know about it soon enough....

hoping to get it more presentable by the time the weekend is over
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

It's looking good Rhea.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Nice format! (I can see you are still building, so I'll toss out a few ideas.)

In your content, I'd recommend stating more positives- save statements like 'So there will be absolutely no gigantic, scary, venomous, or otherwise dangerous animals.' for the very end, if at all. Instead state positives like 'My shows feature friendly well socialized animals with fascinating tales to share.' If any of your rescue animals are part of the show, you might want to mention that too. Phrase all you can, even negative things, in a positive manner. Be specific. 'The animals I bring tend to have more going for them in the realm of interesting behaviours (sp?) and characteristics.' Is a bit vague. Hook them in with teasers about how these gentle creatures have developed amazing strategies to not just survive, but thrive in the jungle hidden in our own back yards. (For American species.)

If you do a couple different presentations, individual blurbs about each, and the ages or groups they are appropriate for would be useful too. If you can tailor your presentations to mesh with school curriculum or science units, this would be a definite selling point too.

If you have a family of snakes exhibiting interesting coloration, you might want to put together a sub-presentation on basic genetics, and how color is affected by recessive and dominant genes. This would be amazing for High school kids learning this textbook-dry subject.

"Third shed, A Success" sirtalis01's Avatar

its coming out realy nice Rhea...

Very nice, Rhea.
    James.

thank you all
    I took a little break to take some animals to the rescue, where they are having a small carwash/barbeque fundraiser/adoption event
    it's outdoors in front of the rescue, so in the end I only brought out the uromastyx and my IR temp gun
    the uromastyx loved it for a while, baked on a table and became very active. These are those big metal folding tables with the dark brown fake wood laminate surface, and they heated up so fast that after a half hour the surface measured 141.3ºF and even the uros no longer liked it.
    so now I can go back to working on the web-site and follow some of those excellent suggestions
    the venomous, scary, and biting thing seems to be a big deal for people - the first thing they want to know is whether this "iguana" is "poisonous", so I never lack for conversational material

have I ever told you guys that I have trouble writing in English? sounds silly because my English is better than that of some native speakers, but the writing is different. it's supposed to be short with no more than one concept per sentence. my writing doesn't flow that way. Jeff chops up all of my sentences with a cleaver into tiny pieces, just like you would prep a big nightcrawler for baby garters. the first few times he did it, it was really painful, but I'm getting used to it
    anyway - I do have to add and change quite a bit , , ,
    thanks again for the feedback
    rhea

"Third shed, A Success" sirtalis01's Avatar

oh you whent to sean caseys BBQ? my Sister and her Chihuahuas whent, maybe you met her ..shes from the NYC_Chihuahua_Meetup_Group..

I ended up packing it in early, but is your sister friends with Lorena, Sean's girlfriend?
    they've got a chihuahua named Little Shoes
    I used to look down on chihuahuas, but that mountain lion story changed my mind
    rhea