Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Your favorite tips for Herping.

So what are some of your favorite ways to spot garters (And other reptiles) in their native habitat.
    I've never had much luck spotting anything but frogs, turtles and very rarely the retreating tail of a snake disturbed from its basking.
    I now birdwatchers have their tricks, what are yours for snake spotting? Good places, times, methods, etc.

I've already reviewed some guides to native snakes in the area, but what next?

Re: Your favorite tips for Herping.

Patience, still watching.
    They see you long before you see them. They are the masters of their environment.
    I found stopping and watching a particular area usually lets me see them.
    Many times they are so curious about me they will come towards me as long as I'm still.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

My tip is more for the safety of the critters, and I only say this because I have killed two snakes this way and it was avoidable.

when flipping over debris, Logs, boards or whatever, after you have taken your photos, reach down and spook the animal away before you return the item back to it's original location.

Last summer I flipped over a board and found a young garter snake, when I returned the board to where it was the snake had gotten pinned in place by the board and perished. I found the poor things corpse the next time I flipped the board.

Happened again this spring, only this time the weight of the board squished the poor little snake.

So like I said, always move the snake out of the way before returning the hiding place to it's original state.

Good point to bring up, Wayne.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Patience, still watching.
    Many times they are so curious about me they will come towards me as long as I'm still.
    That reminds me of a really awesome moment back in April 2003. I was just walking around and exploring along the north bank of the Columbia River (separates OR/WA) on one of the first warm days of the year. It was about 80 degrees. Hadn't seen any critter of any kind, except for birds and I got a bit overheated and sat down in the shade of some cottonwood trees. I'm just sitting there and I hear a rustling in some dry leaves. A huge female T.s. concinnus was coming straight at me. She stopped right by my foot and looked up right at me. A few seconds later, here comes 3 males, hot on her tail. When they caught up to her, she took off, making them chase her. That was so cool but that area is now condos. No more snakes. Anyway, that was the only time that sitting still worked for me. Mostly, I keep on the move but at the right times and temperatures.

But to answer the question, you have to find the right habitat. Explore all kinds of places that have plenty of water and food for snakes. Best time to discover good places is in the first few weeks of warm weather in the spring. That's when I found the spot in Oregon that is just teeming with T.s. concinnus and T. ordinoides. I returned a few weeks ago, and there is still no shortage of snakes to be found in the grassy open areas around a nearby wetland. However, this was a rather hot day. There were plenty of snakes in the A.M. basking and warming up. From noon to about 5pm, I didn't spot any snakes since it was sunny and mid-80's, they avoid the mid day heat and sun. But once the sun was low in the sky again, they were everywhere. Couldn't walk two steps without spotting several out in the open. Got this video around 7pm on a 85 degree day, after it had cooled off and the sun was going down. It was on the edges of a flooded grassy area where plenty of frogs and newts could be found:

In the heat of summer, early morning sun, while it's still cool, where there are plenty of amphibians and some cover would be good. Also, again in the evening. On overcast days in the upper 60's or low 70's, they are usually active all day. this time of year, find their food, and you'll find the snakes. Michigan has plenty of wild areas and plenty of ponds and lakes. That's where I would look.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Sounds like a morning trip to my Local metropark may be in order to practice.
    In a few weeks I'll be visiting family outside Pittsburgh PA. Their home backs up on a small state park with deer filled woodlands, a lake, and a very moist meadow- it sounds like a good place to look!

I hesitate to go tipping debris thought- there *may* be copperheads in the area, and I'd hate to surprise one up close with a 5yr old participating.

Pretty snake in that video! I'm hoping to spot something different, but we'll see what crosses our path.

I found here in Iowa, cemeteries are a good place to find garters. Not a good place to flip stones though.
    Many small/old cemeteries don't weed eat a lot so there's a lot of hiding places for them.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I found here in Iowa, cemeteries are a good place to find garters. Not a good place to flip stones though.

That paints a pretty funny picture in the mind!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Just watched your video Richard, another beautiful Snake. You are very lucky to live where you do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    That paints a pretty funny picture in the mind!

Me too, since I used to flip them for a living. (Worked for the V.A. at Portland's National Cemetery)

Oh, the things we find under there. It would blow your mind.