Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shipping to Canada

I got an inquiry about shipping one or more of my flame babies to Canada but it seems that I read in the past that that's illegal. Is this true?
    tina, aka garterchick

Re: Shipping to Canada

i...dont think so ....i may be wrong...
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

"First shed, A Success" Barak666's Avatar

I don't know what are the laws on your side of the border, but for the Canadian borders there is not laws, permit or inspection needed. The only thing is about the shipping box who need to secure the animal well. Otherwise it is legal to import garters snakes from US. Hope it's answers (in part) your question.

And if you happen to be able to ship in Canada, I might consider buying one from you.

Mathieu

Had this very same conversation with Scott Felzer, Boots wanted to get some morphs (He lives in Alberta) and it was going to be a logistical nightmare.

If you really want to know all that is involved, contact Scott, He can fill you in, Since no one else I know ships more garter snakes than him, He would be the perfect source for that information.

there's a breeder here in Salt Lake City that I asked about shipping to Canada. As long as it's not on the CITES llist, normal shipping procedures apply. He has an import/export permit.

here's his website, feel free to email him and ask.

BoaConstrictor.com | Home of Jeremy Stone Reptiles | Boa Constrictors and More

Banned

When I looked into it, the cost was going to be over $150 compared to just $30 to ship within the U.S.

As far as legalities go, if you were to follow legal procedures, it's more difficult, red-tape and expense wise, to ship a snake into the state of Washington then it would be to ship to Canada! But as you know, it will be opened at the border and their will be delays. Getting a snake to someone overnight, crossing the border, isn't going to happen. IF all goes well it could take up to 3 days, and it won't be cheap.

I contacted Scott and once I had the info from him I decided that shipping to Canada wasn't for me, as much as I would like to expand my "customer" base. It sounds somewhat complicated and expensive to do it right.
    Sorry for those of you interested, maybe a Canadian breeder can be found?
    tina, aka garterchick

"Preparing For First shed"

I've shipped to Canada. An Export Permit is needed. You have to work with Federal Agents in order to get one. Snakes need to be shipped out of a designated export port (I believe there are six in the United States). There they are subject to inspection by Fish and Wildlife Authorities.

Exporting is not worth doing yourself if the price of what you're selling is less than a couple thousand dollars. It also takes weeks (if not months) to go through the permit process. Snakes must be shipped via airlines (which is more expensive than FedEx) and must have at least two flights (one to the export port and one or more to the snake's final destination). I do not remember what the permit costs, but there's a fee for it as well as a fee for your inspection in cases where the snakes reach the export port and F&W has to come in at a non-9:00 to 5:00 time slot to check them.

Shipping snakes out of the country on your own accord is more than a little bit illegal and can result in serious consequences - even if it's a common snake like an Eastern Garter. There are some brokers who can export sankes for you, but there's a fee involved as well as two shipments (one to the broker and one from the broker to the person receiving the snake).
    Tim Spuckler
    Third Eye Herptile Propagation
    www.thirdeyeherp.com

Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a friend that lives in new york., What would be the procedure if I Ordered some snakes to his place and then drove down to pick them up. I live in ontario and this seems to be the only way to get Garter morphs up here.

To be honest, when I looked into it, it turned out it was easier to import from Europe then it was from the States. Not sure why, but that was just want I figured out.

Jason