"Second shed, A Success" Hollis_Steed's Avatar

supplimental heat

I've seen it both ways on this forum but just wanted to get a consensus if everyone thinks garters are best kept at ambient temperatures or if you have found they do better with under tank heaters, hot rocks, or over head basking lights. Mine are in 10 and 20 gal. aquarium type enclosures in my home and I do keep their enclosures lit during the day time hours. I would like to be able to learn from everyone else's experience rather than go through the "re-invent the wheel" approach.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff

Re: supplimental heat

Myself personally I use no heat at all.

I forget without counting how many set ups I have and they all are doing just fine.

I have found however that gravid females do like some belly heat.

Heat rocks still get some bad publicity these days even though the manufacturers have improved the greatly compared to the ones made some years ago that were known for burning animals.

Gradient.

I use under heaters for all my snakes.
    Heated hides are a big hit with them.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Since you have those infernal aquarium hoods it seems like you would be limited to undertank heaters placed on one end of the tanks.

Gradient is very important. With the slide-lock screen type top, I can use a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter/dome light fixture. With the dome and heat emitter, I can achieve 85 degrees on one end while still having around 72 degrees on the other, and that's in a small (10 gallon) tank.

I don't use heaters at the moment. I rely on the overhead lamps. The temp in my snake homes are consistantly hovering around 80 with the lamps. I also have the red bulbs for night time. They seem to like those as well.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Heat rocks still get some bad publicity these days even though the manufacturers have improved the greatly compared to the ones made some years ago that were known for burning animals.
    Never quite understood why they got a bad rap in the first place. I used them when I was keeping/breeding sceloporus (spiny, clarks, fence lizards) back in the early 90's. They got warm but never hot enough to burn. Never had a problem. I got away from using them simply because I don't want to deal with a cord going into the viv.

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Never quite understood why they got a bad rap in the first place. I used them when I was keeping/breeding sceloporus (spiny, clarks, fence lizards) back in the early 90's. They got warm but never hot enough to burn. Never had a problem. I got away from using them simply because I don't want to deal with a cord going into the viv.
    There were many that got spots on them hot enough to burn, and often did cause burns. I never had any that did, but I did see first-hand several examples of it happening. This was about 20 years ago though. The main problem being that there usually isn't some sort of temp control device being used with them, and that they tend to have inconsistent heat with hot spots.

I'm a big believer in temperature gradients as well, all 80+ reptiles we currently have all have gradients.
    Chris

"Second shed, A Success" Hollis_Steed's Avatar

That's what I thought I might hear...."I always use heat..." and "I never use heat..."
    I guess it really is just a matter of personal preference. I'll experiment and see what my snakes seem to prefer.
    Thanks for taking time to voice your preferences everyone!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis_Steed View Post
    That's what I thought I might hear...."I always use heat..." and "I never use heat..."
    I guess it really is just a matter of personal preference. I'll experiment and see what my snakes seem to prefer.
    Thanks for taking time to voice your preferences everyone!
    some do, some don't... garters are very cold tolerant snakes....as you notice by the fact there are so many where you live...and there were a ton out that rainy day we met with you. if you use heat, put it at one end so there's a temperature gradient so the snake can warm up or cool down as it wants to.