Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pneumonia

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Pneumonia

So this past week has not been good for me and the snakes.... I started getting a cough last week which ended up in me being wiped out all weekend.... Fevers, chest cough, headaches, can't catch a breath, the works. (hence my lack of presence on the forums) Well the doctor told me last night I have pneumonia. Ok great. Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear, that I have pneumonia, in June, when my snakes are even MORE high maintenance and I can't do anything for them. I've been so sick I have't been able to tend to them since Friday... And now it looks like I'm out of the count until at least this Friday... What do I do!??!! My poor garters, I know they are hungry, and silly me, I'm too busy coughing up my own lungs! I am under strict order from my doctor to remain as immobile as possible. If I don't I could end up hospitalized... But if I do the snakes get neglected. I feel so stuck. Uugghhh. What to do!? (sorry for the solid brick of text, I'm posting from my phone!) I guess why I'm posting is because I'm a bit panicked here and I need to hear from others if they've had similar experiences and that my snakes are not all going to die....
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Preparing For Second shed" Laura's Avatar

Re: Pneumonia

Aww feel better! *long distance telekinetic healing thoughts* Did the doctor give you any nebulizers?

Sorry to hear it.

Well, what can you do? They can make it without food just fine for long time and cleaning enclosures is rarely urgent. You can even skip a water change, provided that they haven't actually defecated in their bowls.

oh Shannon - I'm so sorry you're sick
    I had been wondering what kept you away
    your snakes are not going to die, Shannon
    I had some really nasty, dying-preferable-to-this kind of respiratory stuff for a few winters after 9/11, and ended up so weak with weight loss that for lengthy periods I was unable to do anything. I did call on the family a little bit, to change some water bowls, and the snakes were all fine.
    I wish I could come over and help, but it is a bit far
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    I wish I could come over and help, but it is a bit far

Same here...

Get well soon Shanon.

sorry to hear that....get better soon! the snakes will be fine....they can go for long periods without food...even the babies. missing a week won't hurt them. that has happened to me a time or 2 over the years...had to skip a feeding for a few days....never bothered the snakes

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

I'm sorry to hear that !!
    Take care of yourself first Shannon!!!If you can only give food to the one who really need it.When you have such a large collection like you do you should always have a plan B ...if you know someone with a lot of reptiles,you should maybe make an arrangement ,the person can take care of your snake or at least take a look and do the minimum to be safe,someday this person will need help from your side...That will happen again for other reason ,such a hollyday for exemple.

Hope you feel better soon .....

Charles.

Take care of yourself Shannon. Put your boyfriend to work changing waters. The food part can wait.
    Your snakes will understand

Better idea, ship all of them to me. A few years after your better I'll think about sending them all back
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Steve lol

"Third shed In Progress"

If you're near me I'd be willing to lend a hand for a day