Thread: feeding time

"Second shed, A Success" Hollis_Steed's Avatar

feeding time

I introduced myself in the new members area. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Maybe this is a more appropriate forum to ask my questions that didn't get answere in my introduction. My question is, do you use a dish to feed? or do you just put the cut up night crawlers or pinkie mice in their enclosure and let them find it on their own? How long should I leave the feed in there if the snakes aren't showing any interest? I've noticed that some have mentioned that they actually feed in a separate enclosure. My two Elegans haven't eaten anything since I got them three days ago, I've offered them night crawlers (cut up) and thawed pinkies. No interest. My Sirtalis's ate the night crawlers I put in with them last night and I only caught them yesterday. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

"Third shed In Progress"

Re: feeding time

I remove mine from the enclosure that I keep them in. Put them in a plastic container, and drop them in with the food. That way I can hose out the container without having to do the whole enclosure, although I usually use that time to clean the enclosure anyways...

I feed mine outside the enclosure as well. Since I house all my garters in multiples, It is really important to feed them separate, snakes will fight to the death over food if allowed to eat as a group unsupervised.

Place the snake in a small shoe box sized poly tote box with food and lock the top shut, then leave them alone for about half an hour or so, usually the food will be gone, and commonly the snake will go potty in the box when finished.

Then just put the snake back and wash out the box for next time.

"Third shed In Progress"

Yeah I forgot to mention to feed in a completely separate container from each other. The 'tug of war' may look funny, but it's end result isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bkhuff1s View Post
    Yeah I forgot to mention to feed in a completely separate container from each other. The 'tug of war' may look funny, but it's end result isn't.
    I still have a ribbon snake that was 1/2 swallowed by a sibling during a feeding.

I rushed to the sink and ran cold water over them until the larger snake regurgitated the smaller one back out.

Both snakes survived just fine, I sold the larger one and kept the runt.

"Second shed, A Success" Hollis_Steed's Avatar

Good Information and very helpful! Thanks to you all for the ideas to a good start!

I feed mine in the enclosure but watch them. I have had a few "food fights" where I have had to cut the food item in half or pursuade one of the squiggles to let go. I did have an incident about 2 months ago where one of my snakes half swallowed its sibling. I also ran cold water over the two until I was able to get them apart. Sadly, a few days later, it appears the "swallower" suffered trauma and died. If feeding in groups, you definitely need to watch dinner time. I have only had fights with my babies. My 3 large snakes do not fight at all.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

also, it's normal for them to go a few weeks without eating...need time to adjust to captivity