Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

New Boamaster Micros- Happy Mother's Day to ME!

Many many many thanks to the Hubster, Gary. My poor little garter snakes have been in tubs (and OH, how indignant they are that they have had to live in apartments!!!!) since brumation. They are much happier now that Gary has given me a nice stack of Boamaster Micro cages for them! I love it now that I can finally see my little ones again, too! They're still in attached housing, but now they can see me, I can see them, and we're all a LOT happier.

Here's some pics:

Concinnus, hamming it up:

and hopefully, this girl is gravid, not just fat, it's nice to see her again, either way:

The cages have nice lighting, standard rope lights from Lowes, and we're using the pro-products panels for basking spots. I'm thrilled, and would love to see more of these when we move (someday) and have a devoted "snake room".

Stephi

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

Re: New Boamaster Micros- Happy Mother's Day to ME!

Great looking enclosures. What heat source are you using?
    Nice job, Gary.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed, A Success" mtolypetsupply's Avatar

Using radiant heat panels from Pro-Products. www.pro-products.com They're a really neat alternative to lights, and reportedly also have physiological benefits as they emit particles in the 8-10 micron range.

They are much more pricey than a standard clamp lamp and bulb, but are much more efficient, and have a 10 year warranty, and a life expectancy of about 50+ years according to studies. I don't know how often you go through bulbs, but at 3 per year, plus the inefficiency of the bulb, and the drying out of the cages, etc. the panels are much cheaper and healthier in the long run.

I have only had the cages set up for one day, but I'll let you know how they work out for me. I'd also like to get them for our home, if they work as well as they are supposed to work. Pro-products does commercial and residential (for human ) applications as well.

Yes, Gary did do a nice job!

Stephi
    check out our new website at
    www.HerpEden.com

Looking good
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Banned

Wow, cool housing!

Hate the colour.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Hate the colour.
    Details, details.

Oh, another thing. If it were mine, I'd have a section on one end cut out and screened. Better yet, plexiglass with holes. I know, pick, pick. Still, way cool setup. It would be a real space saver if I had something like that. Maybe some day I'll build one. That would give me room for at least 6 more garters, assuming I keep my current tanks

"Second shed, A Success" Hollis_Steed's Avatar

Stephi,
    Now that you've had these boamasters for a while what do you think? Would you do anything differently? I'm starting to put together plans for housing and these sure look nice. Would you recommend them??

Quote Originally Posted by mtolypetsupply View Post
    Many many many thanks to the Hubster, Gary. My poor little garter snakes have been in tubs (and OH, how indignant they are that they have had to live in apartments!!!!) since brumation. They are much happier now that Gary has given me a nice stack of Boamaster Micro cages for them! I love it now that I can finally see my little ones again, too! They're still in attached housing, but now they can see me, I can see them, and we're all a LOT happier.

Here's some pics:

Concinnus, hamming it up:

and hopefully, this girl is gravid, not just fat, it's nice to see her again, either way:

The cages have nice lighting, standard rope lights from Lowes, and we're using the pro-products panels for basking spots. I'm thrilled, and would love to see more of these when we move (someday) and have a devoted "snake room".

Stephi
    Jeff

Banned

Personally, I don't like boxes. nearly as bad as tubs. Now if they were free-standing in the middle of a room and had glass on all sides, or at least a natural looking background, I might feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Now if they were free-standing in the middle of a room and had glass on all sides,
    There is this idea floating around, that may or may not have merit, that enclosures should have at least one wall that's not transparent, to make the animal feel less exposed and consequently less stressed.