Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Gravid??

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

Anyone Gravid??

I was just wondering if any of the breeders here that are near me ( Pa. ) are expecting any Florida blue babies????? I gotta warm up my wallet NOW!

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Re: Anyone Gravid??

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeknot View Post
    I was just wondering if any of the breeders here that are near me ( Pa. ) are expecting any Florida blue babies????? I gotta warm up my wallet NOW!

Devon
    Just to clarify, are you looking for a Florida Blue, Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Eastern Garters from Florida that have varying amounts of blue), or are you looking for a Florida Blue Striped, Thamnophis sirtalis similis (a sub-species of the Eastern)?

I know Scott is breeding the similis and I personally vouch for their excellent quality.

-Thomas

Duuuuuuh ....Crap! Now I gotta do research and look at more garter pics! How terrible! you guys are making me good!

Devon

"Third shed In Progress"

Or you could swing to the other side of the continent and go with a puget

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeknot View Post
    Duuuuuuh ....Crap! Now I gotta do research and look at more garter pics! How terrible! you guys are making me good!

Devon
    Be careful where you look for info. I know if you google images of similis some of them that will come up will be sirtalis or even the Gulf Coast Ribbon, and I am sure the same will be true if you google sirtalis. I would stick with the resources on this site or other well accredited sources for the info.

Here are some pics of my female. She has an awsome attitude unlike most similis, they have the reputation of being pretty feisty.

As you can see in this next pic she does have a wild side to her.

These pics do not show the true blue of her either. she is much more blue and continues to get deeper with each shed.

-Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by bkhuff1s View Post
    Also a very popular choice!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bkhuff1s View Post

I'll probably be getting blue pugets by summers end. That'll be awesome.

Which is the one that's blue AND checkered?? Excuse me. I'm just learning the Latin names and all. Whichever is more obviously blue.

As for Scott...SIGH! I would ADORE one of his garters! Just like I would adore acquiring a corn from Brent at Dakota Corns ( his blood reds are VERY nice! ) and another corn ( pretty much any color! ) from Kathy Love. And I want some FEMALES of all the other snakes I have! So far, I'm almost sure Wishbone, the corn, is a girl and Bogo has been cleared to be female by the most excellent herp vet today. The boys are taking over!

I just need more space! At least I can throw the garters in together if they're the same size. I need a snake stable.

Devon

Banned

I do believe you're talking about florida blues. Thamnophis sirtalis similis. The more obvious blue striped dark background snake is a puget.

Similis isn't always blue, and to me, even the "blue" one's are more of a gray/blue. Often they are green or gray. Very blue one's are the exception really.

Gregmonsta's (not in the U.S.?) expecting florida blue:
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6521

Florida "blue"

Blue phase Puget:

Also a puget (not blue, red-spotted phase)

So, florida "blue" doesn't necessarily mean it's blue and just because it's a puget doesn't mean it's blue either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    Be careful where you look for info. I know if you google images of similis some of them that will come up will be sirtalis or even the Gulf Coast Ribbon, and I am sure the same will be true if you google sirtalis. I would stick with the resources on this site or other well accredited sources for the info.

Here are some pics of my female. She has an awsome attitude unlike most similis, they have the reputation of being pretty feisty.

These pics do not show the true blue of her either. she is much more blue and continues to get deeper with each shed.

-Thomas
    Very true. Image results are often totally wrong since people mislabel them.

That blue or blue-green glow is hard to capture in pics. I just couldn't do it with this snake (my photo of this snake was march contest winner, no blue/green in my photo) but shannon did. True to color anery concinnus photo:

I imagine that the blue in a florida blue is hard to capture too.

By the way, currently there are several florida blue garters for sale in the classified sections of kingsnake.com