Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing of the guard

It's been a tough Fall and Winter here on the Ranch. My group of old/aged snakes has been dieing off. It all started last Fall with the death of Spot. Then Scar and JW died. Now, my orange phase radix female Charlotte is dieing. My Vet. conjures that it is likely just old age. She has stopped eating and is losing weight rapidly. She is also blind, now.
    She looks gaunt and is taking on that triangular shaped body and skinny neck. I've seen this in all my other old snakes that have passed.
    I'm now on the watch for any suffering as she will have to be euthanized. This snake belongs to my youngest daughter Hailee. It will be hard enough on me but this is her first snake. Hailee found her right outside the front door. Charlotte has been a great breeder and has been a total pleasure to have in the family. She was the perfect snake for Hailee to start out with.
    It's very hard to see these old friend leave but I know it's just part of the journey for my children and I.
    The only plus side is the fact I have many young adult snakes waiting to step up to the plate. I'm looking forward to watching my girls mature and become breeders. These males and females have been with me from birth and I can't wait to see the generations to come.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Re: Changing of the guard

And with your way with words it will keep me reading

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

That is going to be so tough on Hailee Good thing she has such a sensitive and caring daddy to help her through.

Each winter gets more and more difficult for me because I worry so much about Sly. Makes my heart happy seeing him basking and cruising around this week. Ella is still convinced it's winter and his hiding in the corner furthest from the basking lamp, but she's doing well, too. Any idea hold old your older crew is/was, Steve? Sly will be at least 9 this spring... we got him in March of 2002 and he wasn't a neonate then... sigh... I love my old man!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    That is going to be so tough on Hailee Good thing she has such a sensitive and caring daddy to help her through.

Each winter gets more and more difficult for me because I worry so much about Sly. Makes my heart happy seeing him basking and cruising around this week. Ella is still convinced it's winter and his hiding in the corner furthest from the basking lamp, but she's doing well, too. Any idea hold old your older crew is/was, Steve? Sly will be at least 9 this spring... we got him in March of 2002 and he wasn't a neonate then... sigh... I love my old man!
    I'm not sure how old Charlotte was when we found her. She was a large adult. t
    I think they grow slower in the wild so I'm guessing she was over 5 when we got her. We've had her for 3 years, now.

Sly sounds like my kind of snake. They do get to be like old friends or family. Take good care of the old man. My old man was Scar and I miss him daily.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

it's so hard to see them go
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Sly sounds like my kind of snake. They do get to be like old friends or family. Take good care of the old man.
    Will do Gladly So far he doesn't seem like an old man. He seems vibrant, active and healthy. He's not allowed to leave us, though, so maybe that's what keeps him young?
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Banned

@Steve: Stoppit! you're making me cry. It was so hard to lose my pair of concinnus. They were part of the family. After about 20 years (to my amazement) I knew it was time and they just went gracefully into the night.

I filled the gap with time, and 4 pomeranians which are still with me, but some are fading. I only recently joined the forum because I miss my garter snakes and I am ready to start new. Amy is wonderful and I am grateful to have a garter (and any snake) again. I really enjoy hearing your encounters with your snakes, Steve. Yes, it's another generation gone. You have many new garter friends and a whole new start with them. Don't stop! No snake can replace those that have been lost, but I have no doubt that others will take the spotlight, and will make it all worthwhile. I never met scar personally, but I miss him too and he will not be forgotten.

Some people say they've never seen the face of God. I say that they have. He's in the face of that beloved garter snake. He's in the face of your child. He's in the face of your beloved dog or other pet. He's there. You only need to open your eyes and your heart.

I'm sure you'll have another "star of the show" to share with us soon and I'm sure Hailee will grow emotionally as the new garters "take the stand". So will you and I. Just don't stop doing what you're doing. To teach a child how do bare a loss, to grieve, to move on to new experiences is the most valuable thing a parent can teach a child.

God Bless you!
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 02-26-2010 at 04:44 AM.

I've made the decision to start the euthanizing process on Charlotte. She's lost half her body weight in the last month and I will not let her die from starvation. There is little to no tongue flicking and she appears to be blind, now. She refuses to eat or drink. She'll spend the night in the fridge and then be moved to the freezer in the morning. She will be the last of the old snakes here on the ranch. I look forward to the future with my young snakes but also miss the past with my old ones. The faces that I have become so accustomed to seeing are all but gone. I do understand the reality of keeping these snakes but don't like it.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Very unfortunate.

Sorry to hear that mate. You're doing the right thing.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.