Banned

Brooks King Snake for $20?

Hey guys, I went to get a live mouse for my Pueblan milk snake today (I think she's tiring of dead food) and noticed that petco had slashed the prices on their snakes. Nice healthy looking snakes too. Eastern Ribbon for $4.99 and a young brooks (florida?) king for $19.95. (was $70! yikes). Looks just like this one: YouTube - My Florda Kingsnake

So what do you think? any opinions? Thinking about getting it. The caretakers said he's really nippy but a good feeder. I really like the pattern on it's head. Really pretty. It's rather orange. (try to refrain from making this another petco thread. This store is exceptional)

Banned

Re: Brooks King Snake for $20?

Hello? Just wondered if anyone had kept these snakes before and if you think $20 is a good deal for a strong, healthy looking youngster. I also don't know if they are pretty much the same care as milksnakes and other kingsnakes since most of those I have kept were arid/semi arid climate snakes.

You said it yourself. It's cheap and it looks healthy.

I've got an adult Peninsula Intergrade (getula x floridana). he's more coppery brown than yellow. not exactly sure how old he is. I've had him for five years now and he's now somewhere around 5.5' - grown a bit over a foot since I got him, but I think he's slowing down now. He's a wonderful snake. He's had a problem with a recurring abscess on the side of his head, so I keep him on newspaper. In winter he tends to spend a lot of time in his water bowl or the damp hide. he's got a 6'x2'x2' enclosure with a large branch wedged in it, and has periods of activity that really make me happy about my choice to give him as much space as I could, rather than stick him in a tub. he seems to enjoy coming out also, and he's never ever bitten anyone, although I do warn children not to let him wrap completely around their neck because he's quite muscular, and his reflex is to tighten
    he's my favourite king snake
    Last edited by drache; 12-29-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Sounds good to me. If you have the space & he appeals to you, I'd say go for it!
    Too many snakes! 15 species and counting. 2.2 plus Crested geckos 2.2 Gargoyle geckos 0.2 Chihuahua 2.1 evil cats.
    Elemental Exotics