Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Cooked Egg Whites

What are your thoughts about adding cooked egg whites to a mixture of worms, salmon or pinky parts. Egg whites are high in protein and low in fat. I've done a little research and can't find any downsides to them. Mixing them in will coat them with food scent so it shouldn't be a problem introducing them.
    I know that some members feed chicken to their snakes and that some snakes if not most would probably eat baby birds if that opportunity presented itself.
    I offered some cooked egg whites to a couple of my adults last night and they took them. One female took them unscented and a couple others ate them after they were worm scented. I cooked them in the microwave with nothing added. The snake that ate them unscented seemed to like them and returned for a couple helpings. Those snakes seemed fine this morning and nothing had been regurgitated.
    What do you think!
    Egg white - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Re: Cooked Egg Whites

I personally wouldn't give a snake cooked anything.
    Amanda Tolleson

Quote Originally Posted by GartersRock View Post
    I personally wouldn't give a snake cooked anything.
    In this case cooked is much safer than raw.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

no coherent thoughts on the matter right now, but it's early
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Very interesting Steve! I have heard the warnings about feeding cooked meat to snakes and understand why that would not be advised but I don't know how that would apply to egg whites.

From what I have seen in the wild, garters are a lot more diverse in their food selection than I think we give them credit for (That is not to say they come across cooked egg whites in the wild, just that I don't think it is a bad thing to try new food sources), so as an addition I don't think that they would harm them in anyway. I don't know that I like it as a staple though.

-Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MasSalvaje View Post
    Very interesting Steve! I have heard the warnings about feeding cooked meat to snakes and understand why that would not be advised but I don't know how that would apply to egg whites.

From what I have seen in the wild garters are a lot more diverse in their food selection than I think we give them credit for (That is not to say they come across cooked egg whites in the wild, just that I don't think it is a bad thing to try new food sources), so as an addition I don't think that they would harm them in anyway. I don't know that I like it as a staple though.

-Thomas
    I would never want it to be a staple. Only an additive to main food sources.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Banned

Never thought about that. I don't see how it could do any harm.

"Preparing For First shed" wadih's Avatar

I am not sure about the eggs, but according to what I tried before none of my snakes accepted any cooked or processed food. However, I think if a snake accepts a food it wont hurt it. I have seen a lot of them staying weeks without food and just eating what they like or what they think is good for them.
    Although I heard a lot about chicken it is the first time i hear about eggs, but what is the problem!!! I guess I will try that the next time I feed them. In fact I have a male Natrix tessellata that never rejected any type or quantity of food I ever offered him, so I guess he would be a great candidate for the test

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wadih View Post
    I am not sure about the eggs, but according to what I tried before none of my snakes accepted any cooked or processed food. However, I think if a snake accepts a food it wont hurt it. I have seen a lot of them staying weeks without food and just eating what they like or what they think is good for them.
    Although I heard a lot about chicken it is the first time i hear about eggs, but what is the problem!!! I guess I will try that the next time I feed them. In fact I have a male Natrix tessellata that never rejected any type or quantity of food I ever offered him, so I guess he would be a great candidate for the test

wow, my natrix tesselata are picky picky pickyyy!!! I don't see how cooked egg whites would really do much harm... but what about the yolks?! I think the yolk is more nutritious? I do know this: snakes LOVE eggs. They won't eat the pasteurized ones because those no longer smell like eggs, but farm fresh eggs... they will gobble them up!!! My larger snakes absolutely adore fresh whole eggs!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    My larger snakes absolutely adore fresh whole eggs!
    how do you feed them and which snakes eat them?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain