Nebraska Herp Expo.

Since it's right across the river in Omaha, I'll be heading over to the show later. Hoping there won't be as much shunage(I know it's not a real word ) this year as there was last year when they findout my Herp. of choice is Garter snakes. I'll take a camera and get some shots of anything of interest.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Nebraska Herp Expo.

Looking forward to your report
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Just got back and do I feel like I missed the boat. Last year when I went Garter snakes weren't represented and the same is true this year. I wanted to have a table but never got around to it.
    Saw a beautiful baby Mexican Black snake that I almost bought. I could have had a 6 foot Boa for free. It was a rescued animal and they were just looking of a home for it. It had healed injuries from a rat attack. I wanted to take it but don't have the room and would be in violation of City Code(this wasn't what kept me from getting it) It was a beautiful normal female. She was docile and just need some TLC. I will probably kick myself for awhile for not getting her.
    I hope by the next show I'm ready to have a table or two and open some peoples eyes to the wonder world of Thamnophis and especially T.radix.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

It's a shame. I suppose we do prefer the underdogs. The majority seems to want the exotic rather than what they could find in their own back yards. In Britain garters just don't say 'status' as much as a large python or the next most expensive rare royal python morph.
    I'm sure you would start turning the tide if you started to bring your broods to the show
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    It's a shame. I suppose we do prefer the underdogs. The majority seems to want the exotic rather than what they could find in their own back yards. In Britain garters just don't say 'status' as much as a large python or the next most expensive rare royal python morph.
    I'm sure you would start turning the tide if you started to bring your broods to the show
    Hey now, we don't prefer the underdogs, that is just what everyone else thinks. And trust me, I will help change the way people look at "our type" of snakes. At Hamburg it's already working. I've befriended quite a few dealers and have already sold a few thamnophis to some of those who never thought they would like them but had to have some after they saw mine! And my female cherry water snake, she drew someone's attention about once a minute. I got so tired of saying "She's a cherry hypo florida banded water snake" I thought my lips would fall off. What a lot of people don't realize is that those often drab looking little babies on your table change drastically and get better and better with age. They also don't realize that the temperament between a captive bred and raised garter or water snake is a complete opposite of the ones they find outside that will do everything in their power to gross you out and make you bleed. If you show them the adults, it makes them appealing and worth a shot. And that is how more and more hobbyists are getting hooked on them
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

The guilt became too much so I attempted to contact the keeper of the mistreated Boa through a 3rd party. I decided to give the snake a home on the Ranch if I could still get her. I haven't heard back from my 3rd party and that was a signal that she had been adopted. I hope she has a good home and a good rest of her life.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Hey now, we don't prefer the underdogs, that is just what everyone else thinks. And trust me, I will help change the way people look at "our type" of snakes.
    A good photo usually does the trick, most of these people have never had a good look at a garter. I get some pretty neat reactions even to wandering garters, despite their lack of colour.