Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Newly built screen with tub

I just finished a mini project of adding a mesh screen to the top of a plastic tub. For the screen part (visible on the underside) I used a thick mesh, and glued it down with special plastic glue. Then I added a layer of cardboard over that, and then reinforced it with tape (with no sticky parts out)....then I covered the tape with a cardstock paper.

I'm new to this all.....and I don't want my girl to escape. Any suggestions for improvement?

Re: Newly built screen with tub

Looking good so far ... the lid is the most important thing ... just keep on top of checking it for gaps and making sure it's a snug fit.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Will do....thanks for the tip!

Right now there's no heating.....I have several extra heat mats (and thermostat hook-up), think I should add one?

It's always best to have that thermal gradient ... only have about a third of the enclosure on the heatsource. You should aim for 30C at the hot end and 20C at the cold end. Be careful with your ambient temperatures too. If your room gets above 25C then so will the cold end of the snake enclosure. be vigilant and you will find a balance in no time.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

I picked up 3 large 30 gallon tubs a couple weeks back and found myself doing the same thing and it works great. As for heating I am not personally using any extra heating, somehow the idea of heat + plastic = bad in my book. I live in an area where it is already naturally very hot, and we do not have AC so my snake enclosures get into the 80s in the day anyway .

Heat works fine with plastic as long as it's on a thermostat of course you might need this once the weather gets cooler. 27C is the optimum to help with digestion and garters benefit greatly from bottom heat.

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    Heat works fine with plastic as long as it's on a thermostat of course you might need this once the weather gets cooler. 27C is the optimum to help with digestion and garters benefit greatly from bottom heat.
    We keep a steady temp in the house during the winter, it is never really cold so I'm not overly worried about it, I ran 0 heat forever and never had any problems with it, snake is still a beast haha.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    Be careful with your ambient temperatures too. If your room gets above 25C then so will the cold end of the snake enclosure.
    Sorry to hijack, but I've been wondering about this... I don't have A/C and my indoor daytime ambient temperature regularly gets to 80 F (~26 C) in the summertime. The hot side of my enclosure has a thermostat and stays around 83 - 85, but that doesn't leave much of a gradient.

Do any of you in hot climates actually *cool* the "cold" side of your enclosure during the day? How??

Quote Originally Posted by DrKate View Post
    Do any of you in hot climates actually *cool* the "cold" side of your enclosure during the day? How??
    I bet they just cool the whole room.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I bet they just cool the whole room.
    Sure, but I'm unlikely to convince my landlord to install central air just to make my snakes more comfortable.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any innovative ideas...