Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Never shed

Adding a water feature

Some people may remember my striped keelback from awhile ago. He's still alive, so I'm making plans for an improved version of my viv now. My idea is making 1/3 of the viv water while the other 2/3 remains land/cocoa substrate. I'm making plans before I start so my snake is in a temp tank for the least time possible. How do I keep the water from spreading to the substrate side? I have an idea of using one of the barriers from petco, but this just seems to simple and easy to work.
    Any other ideas to help would also be appreciated.

Never shed

Re: Adding a water feature

Unless you've been getting information on ISKs from a source I haven't yet found, they don't really need a water feature at all. At the very most, your little guy should be fine with the moist cocoa substrate and a water dish large enough for him to get into should he decide to.
    0.1.0 Indonesian Striped Keelback - Maja
    1.0.0 Ball Python - Ripley
    1.0.0 Black Russian Hamster - Nikita
    0.1.0 Roborovski Hamsters - Lucy
    1.0.0 DSH Cat - Victor

Never shed

My goal was to put fish in there with him, so they could live for some time more than in the dish. Visually, this would look better as well, besides the extra water space.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" count dewclaw's Avatar

One problem with a permanent water feature is keeping it clean, snakes tend to poop in their water. Do you want your snake eating out of his toilet? Sorry to put it so bluntly, water features can look nice, but are they healthy for your snake? I guess, if you're willing to put in the effort to keep it really clean, you could make it work. I have mossy frogs that require a lot of water in their enclosure. I have an aquarium filter and do lots of water changes to keep their water as clean as possible. Maybe I'm just thinking I don't want to do that for my snakes if I don't have to.
    Last edited by count dewclaw; 06-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    LeAnn
    "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "Jokes are for kids, but puns are for the grown."

I second LeAnn's concerns about cleaning. Maybe you could figure out a way to put a fishtank filter in there, but you'd still have to siphon all the water out and clean the surface pretty regularly.

But if you want to go ahead with it anyway, I believe I know of someone who got a piece of glass or plastic a few inches high, maybe 1/4" thick, and just as long as the width of his tank, and glued it in place with aquarium sealant (aquarium sealant should be available at your local herp or aquarium store, and probably hardware stores too). If you've got TAP Plastics stores in your area, they'd be a good place to get a sheet of food-grade plastic cut to size. You need a very good fit, and you want to run a bead of aquarium sealant around the sides and bottom on both sides of the plastic partition, to make sure it's water tight. Fill one side with water and put substrate on the other. Voila!

OR... Just go to your local kitchen store (or Target or Walmart) and get a pyrex baking dish that will fit the width of your enclosure. Set it in the bottom of the tank, and then put the substrate around it so that it's nearly to the rim of the dish. You can also get those "disposable" Glad or Ziplock containers in large flat rectangle sizes like 9"x13", those would work too. Get two, and then you can pull one out and put it in the dishwasher when it gets dirty.

a couple of years ago, a member showed how she had done both of the above: created a barrier to keep the substrate in place, but then used a dish that fit exactly in the space created for water, so that she could take the whole thing out and clean it - seemed pretty convenient and attractive
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I built one last year... Looked great! I used all live plants and made a partition to retain the water. I used an underwater filter system and everything. It was a pain to keep clean and eventually it fell victim to these little flies that burrowed in the soil! Needless to say I deconstructed it and went an easier, low maintenance route!!!
    The link is below for the build and here's a pic

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/encl...ics-sorry.html
    brandon
    ------------------------------------------------
    myspace.com/bsol78

Juvenile snake

I built one as well and while the poop thing can be a factor a decent water filter/pump works just fine. If you'd like to see mine just check out the "Sku's New Crib" thread.
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by GarterNovice View Post
    I built one as well and while the poop thing can be a factor a decent water filter/pump works just fine. If you'd like to see mine just check out the "Sku's New Crib" thread.
    Nice to see you. Please remember us when your wife has the baby. No, I don't mean naming it Thamnophis but Radix would be a cool middle name
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

LOL ya “Radix” or “Moon Glow” the kid needs to grow up with that name ….LOL
    Michael
    1.1 Woma (Sun Burst), 2.1 Eastern Blackneck, 3.3 Plains Garter, 3.1 Puget Sound,
    2.1 Granite Checker, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (snake sitting )