Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Female off food.

Our younger Florida blue female has been very irregular with her feeding recently. In the past month she has maybe fed 3 times and we know she's not gravid and free of parasites.
    When we got her she had some indentations on one side which showed broken/crushed ribs and, as she's grown, it seems that her spine is slightly indented too. This hasn't been a problem up till now. I wonder if it could be ... or has anyone else had feeding difficulties with a female before?
    She doesn't seem to be loosing any noticeable weight either ... I've kept an eye on that ... she lost only 2 grams in two weeks so that's not a worry at the moment.

Anyway ... here's a pic of the damaged area.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Re: Female off food.

I've got one dealing with a broken rib right now. Getting her in next week for a follow up x-ray.
    Glad yours is getting some good care, now. How did she get injured?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Myself and James were debating that a while back ... we both bought snakes from a breeder just over a year ago and his had similar injuries. Think the person involved was too skittish when it came to handling the babies and would close boxlids/viv doors on them in a panic resulting in broken ribs etc
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    Myself and James were debating that a while back ... we both bought snakes from a breeder just over a year ago and his had similar injuries. Think the person involved was too skittish when it came to handling the babies and would close boxlids/viv doors on them in a panic resulting in broken ribs etc
    I'm still trying to figure out how mine got injured. I'm finding it hard to believe it was a birthing injury. It may just be the only explanation since I have nothing else to go on.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Greg - could she be going into shed?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

We think she might be .... although it doesn't really help with the errattic feeding schedule ... she self-brumated this year, she was kept in her normal enclosure and opted to stay at the cool end for most of Jan/Feb which averaged 15-20 degrees C and ate once during this time (as a Florida native I checked the temps and decided not to go for the 5-10degree winter chill time, we did finde her in the warm hide a few times too), she shed and then returned to feeding ... she had a few periods where she would skip a couple of feeds ... then she had three feeds in a row - one before April and two in the first week of May and suddenly stopped just for the fun of it, or so it seems.
    Like I said, there has been virtually no weightloss so I'm not worried at this point. I bet she's just deliberately out to confuse us.

Could there be a low level parasite problem from the winter?

I know that in mammals, pyrantel pamoate (strongid) is totally safe during pregnancy, should you decide to do a treatment.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

I wouldn't think so ... I will get a fecal smear done if her mood persists ... she has had periods of just being odd when it comes to food before.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

meadow was just like that all last year annoying isn't it? ha ha it bothered me just get her pregnant! meadow's eaten like a champ since she returned from breeding!!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by Snake lover 3-25 View Post
    meadow was just like that all last year annoying isn't it? ha ha it bothered me just get her pregnant! meadow's eaten like a champ since she returned from breeding!!!!
    I did think about this approach